Recess Rockstars!

Recess Rockstars

Jennifer Lubke

Recess Rockstars

Recess Rock Stars is a character education program unique to Orono Schools. The goal of the program is to cultivate a culture of respect, inclusivity and kindness for our students through the recognition and rewarding of positive choices and behaviors.

Students at the high school are helping out with Recess Rock Stars at the elementary school playground during recess; students choose to take time out of their school day to spend time with the younger youth of our community and are able to participate during study hall classes or open classes.

Volunteers go to recess and have fun interacting with students while also trying to “catch kids being good.” When a volunteer sees a student doing a great thing (being kind, including other students, taking care of equipment, etc.), they write down the student’s name in a notebook along with their teacher’s name and what they did.

“It’s nice to get away from school for an hour to communicate with other students and teachers in the Orono community,” junior Ozzie Ramsey said.

Eighth grade academic planning teacher Jennifer Lubke is also the advisor of Recess Rockstars. If this seems like a volunteer opportunity that you would like to participate in, contact Mrs. Lubke at [email protected] for more information.