The Gift That Costs Nothing to Give

Landon+Wittenberg+giving+blood+at+the+blood+drive.+

Katie Udell

Landon Wittenberg giving blood at the blood drive.

Heroes were spotted in the mezzanine for the blood drive put on by Memorial Blood Center, on Nov. 8.

More than 60 students signed up for the cause to help people in need, resulting in countless amount of blood donated. The blood donated will benefit Memorial Blood Centers and save lives.

Students from ages 16-18 and all staff members were allowed to take part in the lifesaving donation; one pint of blood is able to save three lives. Some students go the extra mile and give “double blood” (two pints) which can save six lives.

“It is a very important blood drive, last year at the blood drive conference Orono came in third behind Wayzata and Eden Prairie,” junior Charlie Carlsen said.

In order to ease the nerves and pain of giving blood, nurses rewarded participants with interesting bandage designs. Cookies and juice were also given to students who took part in the blood drive, in order to keep students on their feet and reduce the risk of fainting.

“This is my first year donating blood, I finally turned 16 this year and I’m really excited to save a life,” junior Halle Lindholm said.

There are certain requirements needed to be able to donate blood, if a person does not meet these requirements, they will be turned down. Having low iron, weighing too little, spending a certain amount of time in foreign countries, and being on certain medications would result in a person not being able to donate.