The Flu Combating Orono Students’ Attendance

A new season means for many, that it is time for their seasonal flu vaccine. However, this year’s vaccine may not be as effective as it has been in years past. According to the CDC, this year’s flu vaccine has only been 48 percent effective. This leaves 62 percent of all people who get the vaccine susceptible to the illness they were trying to avoid.

One of the biggest concerns with the flu sweeping the nation, besides suffering from the illness itself, is its effect on school attendance rates.

“Just this year we have had an increase [in illnesses], and we have had an increase of people bringing in doctor notes to verify those illnesses,” administrative assistant Heather DeLong said.

When students miss school, they are missing notes, projects, tests, quizzes and other important information they need to pass their courses. While a few absences leave students able to easily catch back up, the flu takes students out of school for days if not weeks. And because the flu comes on very quickly, many students are left unable to prepare for the impending absences.

“Maybe some kids stayed home before, because influenza isn’t like a regular cold; a regular cold comes on slowly but influenza comes on very quickly,” OHS health clerk Ann Turner said.

Even though the flu comes on very suddenly, there are symptoms that occur which may give people developing the flu a helpful warning. According to the CDC, some of these symptoms may include coughing, a fever, a sore throat, a runny or stuffy nose, aches, and tiredness.

“Normally, they have a really high fever — above 100 — and you can’t function as well as you can with a regular cold virus,” Turner said.

So how can one avoid the flu? Usually a flu vaccine is the best way to go; however, because this year’s vaccine has been relatively ineffective, the best way to stay healthy and flu-free this flu season is to stay hydrated, wash your hands, and stay clear of others who have been affected.