Education for all, all for education

Makarov reflects on his trip to Mexico and helping out the Troncones schools

Pete Makarov, Editor in Chief Online

Over spring break, my family and I went south of the border to Zihuatanejo, Mexico to take in the sun and to enjoy the Mexican culture.

I was joined by senior Eloise Hrusovsky and her family, along with DECA advisor and marketing teacher, Keith Jurek, and his family.

We had a reason to be down in beautiful Zihuatanejo together; we were putting our DECA project in action.

For the past seven months Eloise and I, along with senior Tori Palm, raised money for the Troncones school district in Troncones, Mexico.

Through a variety of fundraisers and donations, we were able to raise $5,005.05 for the school.

I am surprised that we were able to raise that much money for the school. I was even more amazed, however, about how our school and community came together to help a school that some had never even heard of.

Over our spring break, we took a day to see the community and the school of Troncones. We first went to the elementary school where the students ranged from 6-12 years old.

There, we were able to meet the kids and have them write pen pal letters for the Spanish students at the middle school.

We played soccer, laughed and enjoyed the warm sun with them. After we visited the elementary school, we made our way to the middle school.

At the middle school, we saw how they learned, which was by watching videos on the basics and then working in a workbook for more advanced material.

At night, we met back at the elementary school where Eloise and I presented the check.

The money we raised is going towards the high schoolers transportation cost. They have to take two buses each way to get to their high school, which is in Zihuatanejo.

After our presentation, we greeted the families and students.

The impact of what we did for the school and for the Troncones community was unimaginable. The tears and gratefulness on the mothers’ faces was something that cannot be explained with a picture or with words.

After this project and trip, I really want to help communities and schools like Troncones all around the world.

Everyone deserves the chance to education and the right to learn. We all should want to help kids get that opportunity, whether they be from countries in Latin America or countries throughout the world.

In some eyes, education gives people power, but to me, education is something that kids need to have to be the best citizen they can be of the world.

In Orono, we take education for granted at times, and for me, to know that some students in the world will not have the chance at education, is not okay.

Education changes futures, and the next generations changes their futures. In Latin American countries, if you have the chance to get an education, you can go places.

We hear about these countries where school is not a priority. We hear about these schools where if just three graduating students attend college, they are praised.

Everyone should have the opportunity to be educated. We all need to learn how to read and write; it is crucial to us as human beings.
Remember, what we have right here at Orono is a gift, not a right. What we have is the opportunity to make something of ourselves and to see the ins and outs of the world.

Not all students around the world get this chance. Some do not make it to their freshmen year.

After helping the 15 Troncones students get the chance to carry on their education, I have learned that education is something we should all want, not something that we merely have to do.

You will gain knowledge through others that will be useful for you for your whole life.

Once we are done here, and in college, we should all lend a hand and help someone else get through school so that they can have a brighter future for themselves.

Again, everyone deserves the chance to education and the right to learn, and we all should want to help the kids of Latin American countries or in the world around to get that opportunity.