Lorde remains a Pure Heroine

At the end of the summer, radio waves blasted the sound of new artist Lorde’s first single, entitled “Royals.” On Sept. 27, Lorde released new material when her first album, Pure Heroine, dropped in stores and on iTunes. The album debuted at number one on both the top ten and alternative charts on the iTunes store.

Lorde is the stage name used by 16-year-old Ella Yelich-O’Connor. She grew up in New Zealand where she signed with Universal and began to write her own music, including songs off of her new record.

Rhythmic beats layered with organic sounds and soft vocals all help Lorde to achieve individuality in the music industry. Similar to Lana Del Rey, listeners appreciate Lorde’s unique sound in the midst of a musical world overrun by pop.

Lorde highlights her talent in a few of the biggest songs on her album. “Tennis Court” and “Ribs”, the second single off of Pure Heroine, are quickly becoming the next two popular songs off of her record.

By writing about teenage antics and pop culture, Lorde attracts an audience that is able to relate to her own experiences. “Royals” touches on the idea of adapting to the star-studded world of pop culture. Lorde performed her single on Good Morning America early this week.

Other featured songs on Pure Heroine include “400 Lux,” “Team” and “Glory and Gore”.

At only 16, Lorde has lots ahead of her in her music career. Ella Yelich-O’Connor is definitely an artist to watch. With poise and elegance, her voice is nothing but royal.

Makena Yunker is the Arts & Entertainment Editor for The Spartan Speaks.