Advice for boys: how to get the girl

Boys: this one’s for you. Are you having a hard time with the ladies? Have you ever wondered “what am I doing wrong?” Not to worry! After speaking with some of Orono’s most eligible, we’ve concocted a list of hints to help you woo the ladies.

1. Don’t be immature. What’s immature? Anything you can’t handle without bursting out in laughter.

2. Show your personality. Whether it’s an obsession with Pokemon cards or a passion for football, girls want to get to know you before they commit to anything serious, so don’t be afraid to show them who you really are. Your quirks are what make you interesting. Confidence is key.

3. Don’t try too hard. Girls don’t need a sixth sense to recognize when a guy is trying too hard to make them laugh or have a good time. Just be casual!

4. Don’t be inappropriate. What’s inappropriate? To be perfectly blunt, anything related to anything below-the-belt. Girls typically don’t want to hear all of your boy-funny jokes, so leave them in the locker-room. Some girls may not mind, but it’s always best to be a gentleman.

5. Act natural. Whether you’re pretending to be a cowboy, an all-star athlete or Batman, girls can tell when you are trying to be something you’re not. They’ll like you much better if you just act natural.

6. Don’t be afraid to just be friends at first. You shouldn’t be too worried about getting “friendzoned.” Girls just want to get to know you before they make a big commitment and will often feel nervous about moving too quickly.

7. Be polite. The little things, like holding open the door, make the biggest difference, and to be honest, these are things that make girls swoon. Girls will always remember the guy that acted like a gentleman over the cliche high-school jock.

8. This may go without saying, but don’t be mean, especially to impress your friends when they are around. While you and your friends may think it’s funny, it’s not, and girls will often find it hurtful.

9. Smile, but not in a creepy way. Just be friendly and say “hello” from time to time.
    Good luck out there!

Boys: we want to know what drives you crazy about the female race. Write the editor detailing annoying things girls do, or just some things you don’t understand about girls, and throw in some advice of your own to compensate for it. Responses will be printed in the April edition.