Eating breakfast has benefits that last throughout the day

What kind of a difference could a healthy homemade breakfast make in your day? A healthy breakfast could make all the difference. For kids attending school who don’t think they have enough time or culinary expertise to make there own healthy breakfasts before school take it from someone who used to think the same as you, its possible and it’ll change your whole outlook on the day.

The importance of a good breakfast is much more than just a good start to the day, it affects all parts of your day as well. Where other meals help your metabolism, hormones, and provide nutrients for several hours after the meal, a healthy breakfast provides these positives throughout the entire day. Over time these small daily changes can really add up in a big way.

According to senior Schuyler Luetmer, “I usually eat a healthy breakfast every morning. It all started a few years ago when I realized that I had a natural talent for cooking and I haven’t stopped since, I enjoy making myself breakfast.”

Not only does a healthy breakfast provide important nutrients for your body, but if you make your own, you can enjoy that feeling of accomplishment knowing that you made a breakfast healthier than anything you could toss in the toaster or microwave.

A survey of Orono seniors showed that not many, close to 30 percent, eat breakfast more than three times an average school week and even fewer make themselves a healthy one. A healthy breakfast doesn’t take too long to make, it could be as simple as cooking some eggs, making some toast, and a glass of orange juice. This might not sound like much but it can make a huge difference in your day, with only ten extra minutes of thought involved.
    Besides all the nutritious benefits of a healthy breakfast, the uncomfortable hunger that may distract students from their classed can easily be fixed by starting off the morning the right way.

“I’m usually hungry by third hour and find myself thinking about Chipotle till lunch time,” said senior Bailey Amstrup. Amstrup said she eats breakfast two to three times over an average week. She said she just doesn’t have the time after waking up and getting ready for school.

If this information is not enough to persuade people to start eating a healthy breakfast, then the next statistic should.

Studies show that eating a healthy breakfast is directly linked to testing better in school and showing a greater aptitude in math and number related classes, according to livestrong.com.

If some of students find that they’re feeling slugish and off their A-game during school, then try a nice breakfast; the results could be quite amazing.

Zac Hofkes is a Staff Reporter for The Spartan Speaks.