Cultural attractions in the Twin Cities

The Twin Cities area is home to a plethora of interesting museums, conservatories and galleries. Many of them offer free admission, discounts for students or have certain days of the week or month that are free. Orono students can make the drive downtown in less than half an hour and enjoy the many cultural options the cities have to offer. Listed below is information for several of the attractions. For even more information on historical attractions, visit the website of the Minnesota Historical Society.

Como Zoo and Conservatory (free, small donation requested) [map: B]

1225 Estabrook Drive

Saint Paul, MN 55103

Como Zoo and Conservatory offers animal exhibits, park facilities, and beautiful botanics, both indoors and out.

The Museum of Russian Art (charges $9.00 for adults, students are free, donations encouraged) [Map: E]

5500 Stevens Ave. S

Minneapolis, MN 55419

TMORA offers rotating exhibits of beautiful Russian art and artifacts, displayed in intimate multi-level galleries.

The Bell Museum of Natural History (free admission on Sundays) [Map: H]

10 Church St SE

Minneapolis, MN 55455

Located on the University of Minnesota campus, the Bell Museum of Natural History offers scientific exhibitions from across the globe.

The Minneapolis Institute of Arts (Free admission and gallery tours; some exhibitions may charge – see website for pricing) [Map: F]

2400 Third Avenue South

Minneapolis, Minnesota 55404

The Minneapolis Institute of Arts is a world-class art gallery, which is constantly bringing in fascinating exhibitions and shows.

The Weisman Art Museum (free admission) [Map: G]

333 East River Rd

Minneapolis, MN 55455

Also located on the campus of the University of Minnesota, the Weisman Art Museum is the school’s modern art gallery, and is free and open to the public. Free public tours are given every Saturday and Sunday at 1:00 pm, and guided group tours are available at an additional cost.

The Minneapolis Sculpture Garden (free unless a special event is happening) [Map: C]

725 Vineland Pl

Minneapolis, MN 55403

Connected with the Walker Art Center (which offers free admission on the first Saturday of the month and Thursdays after 5 pm), the eleven acre public garden provides a place for visitors to walk, relax and enjoy artwork and the city landscape.

The Minnesota State Capitol (guided tours are given on the hour, with a suggested donation of $5) [Map: D]

75 Rev Dr Martin Luther King Jr Boulevard

St Paul, MN 55155

The Minnesota State Capitol building, located in the capitol city of Saint Paul is an ideal place to learn about the state’s government system and history.

Andrea Conover is the News Editor for The Spartan Speaks.