Downton Abbey gains popularity

P1 DOWNTONIt has never been a secret that many Americans love the British: the accent, culture and lifestyle. The English obsession was prevalent during the 2012 Olympic Games held in London this summer, but the soap opera Downtown Abbey has taken the U.S. by storm, earning rave reviews and major praise from Brits and Americans alike.

Often mistaken for “Downtown” Abbey, the show garnered massive amounts of viewers at the start of this season. The third season kicked off on Sunday, Jan. 6 with a two hour, commercial-free special on PBS. Although it was estimated that the show would earn around 6 million viewers, it greatly surpassed the approximations. Downton captured 7.9 million views, smashing the 4.2 million for the season two premiere according to the New York Times.

Downtown has also won numerous awards, including a Golden Globe for Best Miniseries or Television Film, as well as a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Miniseries.

The period drama stars Hugh Bonneville and Elizabeth McGovern as well as Maggie Smith, who many may remember from her role as Professor McGonagall in the Harry Potter movies. Downton began airing on PBS in Jan. 2011, several months after it aired in England.

Several high school students have been watching the show since the first season, including sophomore Grace Koehl, who was introduced to Downton by her mother.

“My grandpa actually showed it to me, so I started watching it,” said sophomore Catherine Fraser. “He was a British history professor, so naturally this is his kind of show.”

The series premiere excited both adults and teens who are avid fans. The two hour series premiere brought many changes and new troubles. Two new American characters were introduced in the episode. “The new Americans in this episode were portrayed as eccentric and completely filthy rich,” said junior Hadley Patton, a new fan of the show.

Many of characters on the show ensure that there is never a lull in the drama. The wealthy Crawleys live in the massive Downton Abbey home, made up of the Earl and Countess of Grantham, as well as their three daughters and the Dowager Countess of Grantham, to name a few. Many staff members of the house live downstairs, cooking, cleaning, and tending to the family and their home.

Despite the large array of characters, it was not difficult for some of Orono’s students to decide on a favorite. Lady Sybil, the youngest daughter of the Earl and Countess of Grantham, was the most beloved character of both Koehl and Patton. “She is beautiful and doesn’t scheme against people like many of the other characters,” said Patton. “She’s also very progressive for her time. She’s a total feminist, and I think she even had pants made for her to wear, which was very shocking in 1914.”

The British culture in the show also proves to be interesting and exciting for Americans. “I think it’s really fun to watch a show where the society is so different from what we live in today,” said Fraser.

A huge difference in culture makes Downton a nice change from shows set in the twenty-first century. “I love the fashion and the social gatherings in the show,” said Patton. “Everything is so over-the-top and glamorous.”

“I think the culture in the show is so elegant and proper,” said Koehl. “It is really fun to watch.”

More Orono students have become interested in the show as the new season kicks off. Catch Downton Abbey on Sundays at 8 p.m. on PBS.

Katie Yockey is a Staff Reporter for The Spartan Speaks.