Unique holiday traditions show diversity in students

Orono students celebrate several different holidays this time of year due to diversity, but they all have unique holiday traditions that bring them closer to friends and family.

Nearly everyone made cookies last holiday season. Cookies are one of the favored ways to make memories during the holiday season.

“My favorite part of Christmas is for sure the cookies,” said sophomore Becca Schoen.

She enjoys spending time with her family decorating as well as creating different and unique cookies.

“My mom had this recipe for chocolate chip cookies, and she ran out of chocolate chips, so she decided to use dates instead, said Schoen. “They were so delicious.” Their special cookies have evolved to be called “poppernickels,” and making them as a family is one of the highlights of the Christmas season.

“We have a contest every year, but I always win,” said sophomore Liz Ronald. “We also accidentally ‘break’ cookies just so we can eat them.”

Holiday traditions come from student heritages. Freshman Chase Olsen has traditions that are due to his New Mexican heritage.

“On Christmas Eve we decorate our driveway with luminarias,” said Olsen. These paper lanterns are often made from a paper bag weighed down with sand and illuminated from within by a candle.

For some, the holiday traditions begin before the month of December arrives. One of these traditions is Black Friday Shopping.

“I like to wake up early and go to the mall with my female relatives” said freshman Kate Pendleton. “We do some shopping and get some really great deals, and then we have a nice lunch together and show each other the things we bought so far.”

Despite differences in celebrations and heritage, students and their families continue to make memories with fun and unique traditions during the holiday season.

Katie Yockey is a Staff Reporter for The Spartan Speaks.