Bun Style

Fashion is not just the clothing, or the shoes, or the accessories. It is the entirety of a look from the hair to the nails, and even make up. That being said, hairstyles come and go just like clothing trends move from season to season. There are so many ways to style your hair with curlers, flat irons, crimpers, and specialized hair products to get different textures.

From there it’s all up to the imagination to chose a style. A favorite for hair stylists in the runway world has been the bun. Follow these steps to chose which bun you want to try next, then go for it!

First, decide if you want something sleek or carefree. For that cleaner look, go for a top knot by slicking your hair neatly into a high ponytail and secure it tightly. By keeping it tight, your entire face can be seen and be more defined. From there just twist the ponytail all the way to the end and wrap it around the base of the ponytail. Hold it secure with either bobby pins, hair binders or both.

If a more casual feeling is what you’d like, then go for a messy ballerina bun. Use either a bun form or sock and wrap it around the base of a ponytail. Next, spread the hair all around the top of the form or sock so that your hair covers it, and tie a ponytail or two around it. Wrap your hair all around the secured bun and use bobby pins to secure it however loose you’d like.

Obviously these are not the only options, so if you get inspired try looking up celebrity hairstyles that you like and try to re-create them while incorporating your style in it. Use your accessories such as a thin headband, scrunchy, or gem clips to add more dimension to each look. For even more adventure add in a little french braid or twist going into the ponytail itself.

Each time a bun style is executed it is different, so embrace it by having an open mind. Wearing your hair down, or in a simple ponytail may be quick and easy, but it’s time to try something new. Fashion is all about doing what you want, wearing what you want and being confident in yourself.

Mackenzie Iversen is a Staff Reporter for The Spartan Speaks.