The oxblood accent

It’s that time of the week again, and uncovering the latest trend this week didn’t include identifying an article of clothing, but a color.

Fall has shown its distinct yellow, orange, and reds that coincide with the changing leaves, but there’s a new shade in town that has been catching eyes lately. It’s not quite maroon and not exactly red; this mysterious color is called oxblood.

Yes, it sounds like a Halloween prank party favor, but it is a new trend that has been mentioned by magazines all over the nation as part of top ten trend lists. You may not even know that you own this new shade, but it is always nice to learn more before you take this trend for a test spin.

To wear this show stopping color, you can wear it as the bottom half of an outfit such as tights or jeans.

Another option would be as a top, for example a nice t-shirt or even a blazer. For some very quick and easy ideas, first choose how casual or fancy you want to look. For a casual outfit go for an oxblood pair of jeans, and maybe a vintage tank with some chunky bangles.

If you want a dressier outfit, try wearing a flowy pastel top, neutral jeans, and use accessories and layers to incorporate the oxblood. Use the small pop of oxblood as a focal point of your entire look, so that it is not overwhelming. Another recommendation would be adding in a small amount of simple jewelry, such as a charm bracelet or skinny necklace.

Whether you use this color as an accessory like a scarf or tights, or an actual piece of the entire look, oxblood is a deep color to use during these final, light fall days. It’s a warm, dark tone to wear as you continue into these chilly winter months.

Mackenzie Iversen is a Staff Reporter for The Spartan Speaks.