Classical music affects brain development

Learning a musical instrument like the piano can help brain development and aid learning.

Several studies illustrate the benefits of listening to classical music and show that it even help with studying.

The Mozart effect is a theory derived from a series of studies about the effect of classical music, such as Mozart, on the brain. Experiments have been conducted on both humans and animals, and have varying results. The first person to coin the term “Mozart effect” in 1991 was a French researcher named Alfred Tomatis, but he did not have any experiment to back up his claims that listening to classical music benefits the brain.

According to Classical Music Resources, the first study done on this theory was conducted by Dr. Frances Rauscher and Dr. Gordon Shaw. They published their findings in the magazine Nature, and declared that listening to Mozart increased “spatial temporal reasoning” in the college students that they tested.

The students were split up into three groups: one group that listened to Mozart, one that listened to relaxation music and one that had silence. Afterwards they were each given spatial IQ tests, and upon completion Rauscher and Shaw discovered that those that listened to Mozart scored significantly higher than the other two groups.
    Some critics of the theory believe that the increase in mental activity is due to enjoyment or increased mood, from listening to classical music. In response to these criticisms, a group of scientists conducted the same experiment on rats, and discovered that the rats who listened to Mozart were able to travel through a maze significantly faster than the rats who listened to relaxation music or the rats who were in silence.

Spatial temporal reasoning is an important mental ability that helps with problem solving, and can help with math, science, engineering, games, art and other aspects of everyday life. As junior Will Thompson said, “it’s mysteries know no bounds.”

Rhythm, pitch, metre, melody and timbre are all processed in different parts of the brain, and therefore activate many different parts of the human mind.

Music that is complicated and intricate, such as Mozart’s music, gives the brain even more stimulation. Don Cambell, a classical music expert, has recently released a book on The Mozart Effect, and according to the book, The College Board conducted a study in 1996 related to music and test scores. They found that those who sang or played a musical instrument scored 51 points higher on the verbal portion of the test and 39 points higher on the math section.

According to Junior Marie Koury, listening to classical music can also help with studying. Koury said “I usually listen to classical music while reading,” and said she believes it helps her learn the information better and read faster.

Scientists believe that the relative complexity of Mozart’s pieces when compared to other music is what makes his work most prominent in this theory.

Some modern music, such as that of the Greek musician Yanni, has also been successful in experiments. Experts believe this is because Yanni’s music has similar complexity to Mozart’s.

Other music may also be helpful with schoolwork. Junior Jack Stephenson said, “fast-paced music helps me with math and science,” and junior Jake Anderson said, “any type of music helps me study better.”

Listening to classical music has been proven to stimulate the brain and to improve the studying experience.

Harry Hutter is the Advertising Editor for The Spartan Speaks