Jason Wu for Target and spring fashion update

Jason Wu, a world-renowned designer, recently designed an exclusive line for Target. The 50 piece collection included a variety of classic Wu designs – all feminine, chic and preppy, and unlike many of Wu’s normal collections, affordable.

Jason Wu’s Target Collection Black Circle Skirt retails for $30, compared to his Sculpted Techno Satin Skirt, which goes for $1,125. Another steal is the navy dress from his Target collection, which is $40, rather than the $1,100 Jason Wu Techno Jersey Dress. Both items are similar in style and color and are sure to live up to the highest fashion standards.

Another highly anticipated item was the Target Collection scarves. The silk scarves come in three different patterns, two shades of blue and one novelty print featuring a playful cat. The playful cat could be considered the motif of the collection. Reappearing on a bag, t-shirt, scarf and featured in the Target ad, it adds a level of fun to Wu’s signature mature and sophisticated line.

Since 2006, when his first full collection was launched, Wu was nominated for a Vogue award and established a name for himself in the fashion industry. His awaited Target line debuted on Feb. 5 in stores and online. After 24 hours, most everything online was “Out of Stock” and it would be highly unlikely to be able to find the coveted merchandise in stores. However, if you are willing to pay a premium, 12,000 pieces from the coveted line appeared on e-Bay. Target spokesman Joshua Thomas said it was “disappointing” to see these actions happen.

Another fashion tip is that it is time to shed your neon parkas and bold eye catching patterns, spring is here and with it, a whole new slough of pastels. DVF, Calvin Klein, Fendi and Herve Leger featured the soft hues heavily in their Spring 2012 shows. Alexander McQueen conversely featured more earthy, natural tones. His Resort 2012 line also played on styles from the Renaissance era.

The seasons favorite shoes so far are flats, wedges and out-there heels. Some of the most talked about shoes of the season are Prada’s winged heels. Many fashion enthusiasts predict that these heels will literally take flight during the Spring 2012 fashion season.

Another coveted pair of shoes walking the Spring 2012 Fashion Shows is Alexander Wang’s textured heels. The sky-high heels come in a cerulean shade and are textured to mimic a scale pattern of a fish.

Nothing says Spring 2012 like a new, smaller bag. Last year’s over-sized totes and huge hobos are replaced with smaller, more delicate bags. Dries Van Noten’s Sunflower clutch sports the graphic image of a metallic sunflower. This clutch caught the eye of design critics as soon as it was released. Another clutch (trend alert) by Fendi, has a polka-dot pattern. Green, silver and orange piping frame the fabric, off-setting the circular pattern with a square edge. Designer Marc Jacobs continued this trend with a petite bag with a gold chain. The bag is a sky blue with silver sequins dotting the edges of the purse.

Rule of Spring 2012 Fashion: smaller is bigger. From the Jason Wu for Target collection to tiny clutches grasped by models on the runway, small things are definitely big talk in the fashion world this spring. Heels, flats, sandals and wedges are accented with small details. Jason Wu is right, it is all about the mischief in the details.

Talia Zadeh is Editor-in-Chief for The Spartan Speaks. Makena Yunker is a Staff Reporter for The Spartan Speaks.