Teen bullying has harmful effects on others

When the topic of bullying arises, people often brush it off, thinking that such a term applies only to the stereotypical tough kid stealing some ones lunch money or stuffing them into a trash can. The truth is, there are many different forms of bullying, many of which can have harmful, long-term effects.

There are four main types of bullying: physical, verbal, emotional and cyber. While physical and verbal are likely the most obvious or widely-known, emotional and cyber are likely the most common, especially amongst teens.

Emotional bullying is when the victim is manipulated or ostracized, and can prompt feelings of isolation and depression. OHS math teacher, Karla Heussner said “insecurity is often the most common cause for the behavior.”

Junior Taylor Andersen-Beaver agreed, saying, “I think that students are afraid to be who they want and they don’t express themselves or allow themselves to be who they are.” This type of insecurity causes people to lash out against others to make themselves feel better.

Cyber bullying, a growing problem in the technology era, strikes victims via text message, e-mail or other social media. OHS history teacher, Michelle Neal said, “Kids today have so much access to different forms of media, and that makes it easier to hide stuff or be sneaky about it.”

The ability to attack people without actually having to face them in person makes the victims all the more vulnerable.

Another very common form of bullying is gossip and spreading rumors. “I’ve had things said about me that haven’t been completely true, people just want to hear the main part of the story and make up the details on their own,” said Andersen-Beaver

Neal said, “there aren’t too many problems in the classroom, but I definitely witness gossip between students.”

A poll of 57 people in four different study halls showed that 51 percent of OHS students have considered themselves to have been bullied at one point or another.

No matter how often it happens, bullying is a problem that can not be tolerated. OHS math teacher, Kristen Van DenHeuvel said, “It may not be common, but any amount is an important problem.” Heussner agreed, saying, “if it happens at all, it’s a big deal.”

“Bullying doesn’t just hurt the victim, but it hurts the bully too. Because whether they want to admit it or not, they’re hurting just as much,” said junior Falon Tatou, “and that’s the last thing a student needs in high school.”

Andrea Conover is the Copy Chief for The Spartan Speaks.