Say goodbye to winter mess and hello to winter fresh

It is time to stop blaming the weather for bad hair days. When the weather changes, so should your beauty routine. Here are some tips to get rid of flaky hair, chapped lips, dry hands and how to get a healthy winter tan. Men, do not be shy they will help you too.

Pucker up and put on that chapstick. Licking your lips can make matters worse, so throughout the day apply fragrence free moisturizing lipstick. “Before bed I always put Vaseline on my lips, when I wake up they are softer and aren’t red and sensitive from being chapped.” stated senior Emily Azad.

“I don’t own a bottle of lotion. Chapstick on the other hand, that’s good stuff,” Stated junior Justin Hammer. Guys have to remember that winter beautification does not only apply to women. Boys, when shaving use a clean blade, and shave with the grain instead of against it. Remember to be gentle.

Drinking large quantities of water is good for your skin’s health. Water keeps the skin hydrated and can prevent dry skin. Some also say that drinking water gives the skin a radiant, healthy and young look.

In the winter there is less humidity in the air, which is why many people’s scalps peel. To help dry scalps, try not to take hot baths and showers, and cool the water down before you get out. While your still damp, rub lotion on your knees and hands to lock in the moisture. “At night, put thick lotion on your hands and cover them with socks,” suggested junior Megan Anderson.

Most people associate sunscreen with summer, but the sun in the winter is intensified when reflected off of the snow and this can cause you to sunburn. Simply applying lotion with SPF 15 in the morning helps a great deal.

Taming the morning hair seems to be a horrific task. “I let my hair air-dry in the winter,” said senior Amie Tunheim. “It saves me time and seems to not get as frizzy and hard to handle throughout the day. If it does get uncontrollable, I throw it into a ponytail.” Letting her hair air-dry, she is letting more moisture seal in from her conditioner.

Another tip Tunheim shared was to put “a hair moisture treatment once a week on damp hair and leave it on for five to ten minutes, then just rinse it out.” Washing your hair everyday is worse than you think. Frizzy hair equals dry hair. Solve this problem by washing your hair every other day instead of everyday. Between showers, use a dry shampoo like Serge Normant Meta Revive Dry Shampoo which is avaible for $25 at Sephora.

It’s now time to tame winter’s beauty beast.

Rainey Bittman is a Visual Editor for The Spartan Speaks