The Official Student News Site of Orono High School

Roads after the first snowfall

Winter is back in full swing in the Twin Cities. December 1st brought about the first heavy snowfall, leaving many drivers stressed and on high alert of dangerous conditions and icy roads. This applies to Orono students, many of whom are newer drivers unaccustomed to icy conditions. For drivers with brand new licenses or who are driving in the snow for the first time, it is especially dangerous. They may not be accustomed to their cars in the snow or aware of the extra precautions needed when the roads are snowy and icy.

Driving in the snow can be really hard and stressful, but I just have to be careful so that I don’t slide into a ditch. That is my biggest worry,

— Ellen Kittridge

“Driving in the snow can be really hard and stressful, but I just have to be careful so that I don’t slide into a ditch. That is my biggest worry,” senior Ellen Kittridge said.

Returning to school the morning after the stormed showed some challenges in locating students assigned parking spots. Many isles of cars were off center, and some kids who were the first ones to arrive were seen getting out of their cars and kicking snow to find the lines of a parking spot. Some students were unable to park near their designated spots, resulting in them paring in a completely different location. If the parking lot does not have a chance to get plowed before the school day, some students may be left without a spot.

The first big snowfall of the year was followed by slightly warmer temperatures, leaving the roads completely clear within 48 hours and safer to drive on. With colder temperatures and heavier snow in the forecast as winter progresses, road conditions will continue to deteriorate. It is important for students and adults alike to be aware of weather and road conditions before getting behind the wheel.