Orono debate team rounds off competition season

Mischa Bernstein assists debate team member Jeffrey Altman in preparing his arguments

As fall sports and activities begin to end, most of us find ourselves lazy on a Saturday morning. Instead of sleeping as late as the rest of us, Orono’s Classical Debate Team is up and ready, heading off to a debate tournament against surrounding high schools.

“We will do great; we always do,” said senior Matt Smaron. Smaron explained that Eastview is Orono’s biggest rival in the neighborhood. A little healthy competition energizes the team, motivating them to do their best, opening statement to closing summary.

The team is given a topic of debate, the last one being “The Bush Tax Cuts.” Preparation for each tournament results in finding evidence, building cases, and creating controversial points that bewilder opposing teams, such as Benilde, White Bear Lake, Rochester, Minnetonka, and, of course, Eastview.

“We are having a successful year so far,” said senior captain Benjamin Engler. “We have a big team this year. Everyone is having fun.” Engler said of being captain, “I have learned that participation is key.”

A tournament at Rochester rounds out the next couple of weeks. Excitement begins to brew at practices as the State Tournament approaches.

Junior Taylor Peterson said what she enjoys about debate team is “Everything, absolutely everything! I love learning, the coaches, and victory–well, that’s the best feeling.”

Everyone jumped in to yell, “Eastview is going down!” Looks like Orono’s debate rivals better watch out.

Is the OHS debate team a serious group of young adults, or just a bunch of fun-loving kids? That’s, well, debatable.

Makena Yunker is a Staff Reporter for The Spartan Speaks