Technology evolves throughout district

Over the past few years technology has made a break through. It continues to get better and is soon going to be doing things we never imagined possible. According to The Technology Liberation Front, 12 years ago “my computer was a Compaq laptop that weighed more than my dog, had barely any storage or RAM, and had a screen that was only slightly brighter than an Etch-A-Sketch.”

10 years ago, the first Ipod was invented, only storing up to a 1,000 songs. Now we have a four types of Ipods to choose from and five different storage amounts. The largest Ipod is 160 GB and it holds up to 40,000 songs.

In elementary school the new thing was having a whiteboard. Now we have SMARTboards that our computers are connected to and allow you to write on the screen. They are a modern day white board, allowing you to accomplish countless tasks that were not possible on whiteboards.

According to junior, Andrew Steinke, being able to access the Internet on a cell phone has been the biggest change in technology since elementary school. Senior, Mason Whitney, stated, “the biggest change is that we now have the ability to do homework online. Also we are able to look up everything a lot faster and more efficiently.”

Now the high school has many students that bring their laptops to class to take notes with. Our school is now implementing wireless Internet, so students can easily use their computers at school. We are able to share documents with our teachers through Google Docs, and can no longer use the excuse of our printer not working for late homework. Also, we can now access our grades at any point in the day.

OHS business teacher, Leslie O’Meara said, “I can’t imagine life without technology, I do everything on my computer.” O’Meara believes that we will soon have everything together, like the iPhone, but smaller and easier to use. Which Android is close to accomplishing.

On Nov. 15 a new Andriod product will be released, the Kindle Fire. But this Kindle isn’t like any of the previous models; it offers: Netflix, Rhapsody, Pandora, Twitter, Facebook, the Weather Channel and thousands of the most popular Android apps. It also has wireless Internet.

Technology is always changing. Whitney shared his thoughts as to how it will be changing, “ten years from now we will be able to put on a hat that forces knowledge into our brain.” Sophomore, Ella Trio, said how she thinks technology will continue to change, “in the next ten years we will no longer have textbooks, everything will be paperless. Schools will be environmentally friendly.”

Jenna Golden is the Advertising Editor for The Spartan Speaks.