Who needs Indiana Jones anymore when we’ve got Nathan Drake

Visually spectacular, exciting, movie-like and timeless. These are the qualities that set a good game apart from a bad game. Uncharted 3 has all three and more in terms of the gaming world. The new Uncharted is not only amazing in every way, but it gives the gamer a movie to watch, a plot to unravel and a romance to look forward to. Uncharted 3 Drakes Deception came out on the first of November, 2011 and has not failed to surprise the hungry world of gaming.

Given a perfect 10 out of 10 by Gamers XTREME, who said, “Uncharted 3 sets a bar that is truly second-to-none. Naughty Dog has once again proven their mastery, not only with the PS3, but among all the developers in the industry. Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception is a game that will be talked about for years… is a masterpiece of a game that should not be missed by any means… period.”If that doesn’t convince you to pick up a PS3 controller and start to play, then you must be the proud owner of an XBOX.

The third Uncharted follows our favorite treasure hunter Nathan Drake on yet another adventure of daring stunts, mind boggling puzzles and an occasional random monster or two. It does, to a point, follow the same plot structure as the first two games. The teams rallies to find a lost treasure, fight some bad guys on the way and in the end unveil a forgotten curse with undead beings that are such a hassle to kill. Only Uncharted 3 has more depth and difficulty that the other games which makes it that much better.

As you “parkour” Nate through the game, you not only feel like you’re part of it, but gamers also get to know the characters. Uncharted 3 is not only nail-biting and nerve wreaking like the first two, but you as the gamer get a sense of who the characters really are, which wasn’t a big part of the first two Uncharted games.

Senior Elliott Heerman said that “Naughty Dog didn’t have to change anything at all to the game. The plot was hot, the graphics incredible, and it really delved into the deeper parts of Nate’s mind and emotions.”

The game is as timeless as Indiana Jones mixed with a little bit of Inception. A big part to it’s epicness is the fantastic visual effects. How water glints and splashes within a fountain when being disturbed, or the shine off of an Arabian building, or the way Nate pushes at a wall when you bring him too close when controlling him throughout, just takes ones breath away. It really is like sitting in a movie with how amazing the visuals are with the faces and the mannerisms of the characters.

One of the big excitements of the game is the online multi player that Naughty Dog has created for it. It is not only as good as Call of Duty online game play, but sets the standard to what online gaming is all about. Each map pack is intricate and even relays a certain plot in a way. You can customize your own character for either a bad guy’s side and a good guy’s side in any way imaginable.

There are a multitude of different game play options like teaming up with strangers in a team death match scenario to level up boosters and unlock kickbacks, or follow a second plot to the actual games original plot by teaming up as any and all characters of the game in storyboard mode to rack up some needed money on a attachment or outfit for your multi player character.

Game Hunters stated, “With games such as Battlefield and Call of Duty taking over headlines, it’s easy to get sucked into that first-person shooter vortex. However, be careful. You might be missing out on what is arguably the year’s best game.” (http://content.usatoday.com)

All in all I would have to rate the game a most indefinite 10 out of 10 on a gamer’s scale. It deserves nothing less with how fantastic and visually sound it is. Naughty Dog hasn’t just “done it again” it’s jumped over that barrier, took a hammer and smashed it into a billion pieces.

Senior Trevor Anderson also agreed with it’s rating, saying “No doubt it shouldn’t get a 10 out of 10. The game was worth every penny.” And as a gamer myself, I couldn’t have said it any better. Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception is a must have for any PS3 owner who has time on their hands and is looking for something to fill it. It will  blow your mind.

Sidney Fairbrother is the Visual Editor for The Spartan Speaks