Izzi Bergerson as the Bakers Wife

Katie O'Keefe

Izzi Bergerson as the Baker’s Wife

Izzi Bergerson

Grade: 11

Q: Can you tell me about your role in the musical?
A: My role in Into the Woods is the Baker’s Wife. She is a smart and determined woman who will stop at nothing to get her wish, and ends up screwing a lot of people over in the process, (including herself). She wishes more than anything to have a child, but because of the curse placed on her husband’s family is unable to do so. So she and her husband venture into the woods to get their wish, and on the way meet many interesting, strange and famous characters, (Cinderella and Rapunzel for example). She is a very fun character to play and, in my opinion, has some of the funniest lines in the show.

Q: What is your funniest/favorite behind the scenes memory so far?
A: [SPOILER ALERT] My favorite behind the scenes memory happened during our first Saturday night performance. For the show I wear a corset as part of my costume, like a legit one with steel in it and tight laces and everything, and it can sometimes make it hard to move. So during this show as I was dying I crouched down, but I apparently went a little too far and was unable to bend because of my corset so I kind of just… tipped over. Like not fell over, I literally tipped over on stage because I couldn’t bend my torso. This also meant that I could not get back up effectively, so I ended up having to crawl off stage in a mess of laughter and quiet swearing. I laughed for probably five minutes straight about this it was so funny.

Q: Which fictional character would play you in the theater production of your life?
A: If I had to choose a character from Into the Woods to play me in a production of my life I think I would honestly choose the Baker’s Wife. She and I both share similar traits, (determination, a sense of humor) and both me and the character have a maternal side to us. But this doesn’t mean that we can’t throw shade. We both do it often.

The Spartan Speaks • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in