The Spartan Speaks

Get over it: the mental health stigma

Orono High school guidance and mental health

Sonia Driskill, Copy Editor

March 13, 2018

When someone breaks a leg, they receive only sympathy and understanding from those around them. No one’s telling the person to simply walk it off, to ignore the pain or to just “get over it”. They don’t get told that their difficulties walking are simply just in their head; they don’t get to...

Can Can Wonderland

Lindsay Craft, News Editor

March 13, 2018

Can Can Wonderland is a place of entertainment that offers mini golf, a boardwalk of arcade games, and an assortment of different foods and drinks. Located in St. Paul, Can Can is a great place for all ages to have fun. Before it was turned into an entertainment center, the building was home to t...

Keeping animals in captivity at zoos is unethical

Ellie Burr, Opinions Editor

March 12, 2018

The placement of animals in caged, artificial environments has become socially normalized in our modern day society. Schools, families and vacationers frequent zoos of all sizes across the globe. Keeping animals in captivity is unnatural and should be viewed as unethical. Zoos have been around since seemingly the be...

Pitch Perfect 3

Pitch Perfect 3

Rae Malik, Staff Reporter

February 8, 2018

Pitch Perfect 3 brought an end to the Pitch Perfect franchise. The movie begins with an action scene and then goes back to explain how it led up to that point. The movie shows the lives of the Bellas, a college acapella group, five years after they have graduated college and are trying to navigate t...

99/1 Policy at middle school hinders incoming freshmen

Hand completing a multiple choice exam.

Sonia Driskill, Copy Editor

February 6, 2018

The 99/1 policy at the middle school has caused some controversy among students and teachers, both at the middle school and at the high school. The policy is designed so that 99 percent of a student’s grade is from summative work and the other 1 percent is from formative work. The idea behind the po...

U.S. healthcare is failing its people

Graph demonstrating health expenditure per capita vs. average life expectancy from 1970-2014. Data source: health expenditure from the OECD, life expectancy from the World Bank. Licensed under CC-BY-SA by the author Max Roser.

Sonia Driskill, Copy Editor

January 25, 2018

How much is a human life worth, in dollars? Are some people worth more than others? These are questions that can arise when there are stark differences between the poor and the rich in a nation--and when their healthcare system is capitalized. Americans have a strong want for an independent market and a bel...

Wonder movie is warming hearts of all ages

Wonder movie is warming hearts of all ages

Ellie Fasbender, Online Editor

January 22, 2018

The movie Wonder, released on Nov. 17 2017, was an instant hit with all age groups. Wonder originally came out as a book by Raquel Jaramillo Palacio in Feb. 2012; it was featured on the New York Times bestseller list in 2012. The movie is one hour and 53 minutes and follows the plot about little bo...

Lana Del Rey stuns audience in opening show

Baileigh Januik, Opinions Editor

January 18, 2018

On January 5 Lana Del Rey kicked off her Lust for Life tour in Minneapolis. The Target Center sold-out show drew thousands of fans for her first Minnesota performance. “Having her start the tour in Minneapolis was a shock, but probably the best concert I have gone to” senior Mara Holm said. ...

Revived by Revival

Hannah Rippberger, Staff Reporter

January 1, 2018

Fans anxiously waited for the day rapper Marshall Mathers, better known as Eminem, was going to drop his ninth studio album, Revival. The drought finally ended on Dec. 15, 2017 when he released his 18 track album. Eminem is most famous for his hit singles “Not Afraid” and “Lose Yourself.” ...

Walker’s new exhibit takes a stand

Baileigh Januik, Opinions Editor

December 15, 2017

The Walker Art Center’s newest exhibit “I Am You You Are Too” opened on Sep. 7 and will be closing Oct. 27, 2019. The exhibit focuses mainly on the concept of borders. The exhibit came at the perfect time. With tension and uncertainty throughout the world, the Walker aimed to point out the si...

Jingle Ball Jumps into your Heart

Photo from the 2017 Jingle Ball Concert

Jenna Lulling, Feature Editor

December 15, 2017

Jingle Ball was held on Dec. 5 at the Xcel Energy Center. This year’s lineup consisted of many top pop performers including Charlie Puth, Kesha, Niall Horan and Halsey. Upon arrival at the Xcel Energy Center concert goers could see trees lit with shining lights and glorious winter decorations.   The d...

Pro/Con: Gun Control

December 14, 2017

The student news site of Orono High School