Daily cell phone use

Photo%2F+Juila+Spacek+
Photo/ Juila Spacek

According to Kaiser Family Foundation, teens spend 7.5 hours a day consuming some form of media.

“I would rate myself a nine out of 10 on a scale of how much time I spend on a cell phone or iPad, because I’m always watching Netflix,” said freshman Mattie Rice. “I’m addicted to the show Walking Dead.”

Cell phones are also rather distracting when it comes to school work. “I would say that my cell phone is really distracting from homework,” said senior Maddie Eastman. She also rated her self a 10 out of 10 on a scale of being addicted to her cell phone, one being the lowest, 10 being the highest.

According to ctia.org, 57 percent of teens view their cell phone as a key to social media. This is also important for Orono students.

“I use my phone on social media websites, that’s what I’m usually on my phone for,” said Eastman. Both Rice and Eastman have accounts for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Vine.

As much as teens use social media, another popular website is Netflix. “A rough estimate of how much Netflix I watch a week would be at least 14 hours. I really like it because my dad and I watch it together and we can bond over it,” said Rice.

“I also use my phone to listen to music or play a game or, occasionally, look something up for school,” said Eastman.

The Kaiser Family Foundation has also found that since 1999, cell phone usage time in a day has gone up over an hour and 20 minutes. This number shows how much cell phone use has increased and will continue to increase in the future.

Juila Spacek is a Staff Reporter for The Spartan Speaks