Police chase on Capitol Hill

On Oct. 3, police in Washington D.C. were taken on a car chase. According to the Associated Press, the chase started when a women in a black Infiniti tried to drive through a White House barricade. The chase began at the White House and went past the Capitol.

While Senate and House members were debating how to end the government shutdown, police quickly put the Capitol under lockdown. The black Infiniti came barreling down Constitution Avenue, home of the Capitol.

The woman’s car was surrounded by police cars, however, she managed to find a way to escape. She continued through a traffic circle onto the north side of the Capitol. In a video shot by a TV cameraman, the woman is seen holding her car at gunpoint, but unafraid, she smashes a Secret Service vehicle and drives off.

Metropolitan Police Chief Cathy Lanier told the Associated Press that the woman was shot and killed a block northeast of the Capitol building. The woman was later revealed to the public as Miriam Carey.

Two people were hurt in the incident: a Secret Service member and a 23-year veteran of the Capitol Police. Both people are said to be okay and expected to recover. The Capitol Police around the Capitol were not being paid due to the government shutdown.

“When I first heard about the incident I was sad. I thought it was tragic, but I also feel like it was a scary situation because no one knew what this woman was doing,” said senior Emily Knight.

Miranda Mosher is the Copy Chief for The Spartan Speaks