Orono: Traditions and transitions through the years

Orono's yearbooks display the different faces of Orono High School through the years. Photo/ Tessa Ostvig
    Orono’s yearbooks display the different faces of Orono High School through the years. Photo/ Tessa Ostvig

The Orono High School building as we know it has been around since 1968. Talking to the teachers that have been here the longest, we can gain an insight into what makes Orono, Orono.

In 1968 the Orono High School building was constructed with the help of the original school board. The beginnings of Orono were nothing like it is today, but it was based on the same values.

“Orono was a revolutionary school built on the concept that students being able to make decisions in their education would excel at a greater rate,” said biology teacher Tim Haislet. Haislet attended Orono starting 1965 as an 8th grader and graduated in 1970. The classrooms were open and students were given lots of freedom to pursue their favorite classes.

Obviously, the open schedule has changed over the years. The modular schedule started in 1968 with 7 mods during the week. They would have two open periods on Mondays and Wednesdays, then morning mods Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Mod periods was a time where students could go wherever they wanted to study or hang out. During weeks like Homecoming or Snodaze (as they used to call Winterfest), the school would show cartoons, hold variety shows, serve breakfast and have eating contests.

In 1976 they switched to five mods, which later became FLEX in the early 90s. Currently the school has a Spartan Hour schedule, which gives students the same opportunities in a more structured way. “With each change you get less and less freedom,” said Haislet.

Doug Erickson, Leadership teacher and Senate advisor, has been teaching at Orono since 1973. He has seen the best and worst side of every graduating class. “The changes [in Orono] are cyclical–literally like eras.”

Fashion changes are an obvious start. Erickson remarked on the “long hair [that was] unattractive. That started changing in the late 70s and the preppy era hit…and lasted through most of the 80s. Girls would spend three hours getting ready in the morning.”

“People got really concerned about grade point average and colleges – I think that’s when Orono really became academic, in the early to mid-eighties,” said Erickson.

Looking back at the academic history of Orono, we learn that in ‘68 the gym classes for freshmen were divided by gender. Other classes offered at Orono were Shorthand, Typing, Bookkeeping, Office Practice and Record Keeping. In 1973, Shakespeare, The Novel, Creative Writing, and Popular Paperbacks were English electives offered, as well as popular classes like Home Economics (also known as Fascinating Foods) and Upholstery.

1974 was the year that calculators and computers were introduced to Orono’s math classes. Also, the musicals used to take place in the gym, commonly called “the barn,” before Fenholt Auditorium was built in 1983.

Orono’s Winterfest used to be called Snodaze, and the Sadie Hawkins dance was an informal event that celebrated the hick-town characters of Lil’ Abner and Daisy Mae. “You’d go in blue jeans or bib overalls…girls would draw freckles and wear flannel,” said Haislet.

The Grand March today is a red-carpet affair which over half of the student body attends. It’s a 45 minute event, with cameras flashing and a huge stage of elaborate themed decoration. But 20 years ago there was “very little participation – it took about five minutes,” said Erickson.

During the 80s there was little attendance at dances, compared to this year’s Winterfest where half of the student body attended the Sadie Hawkin’s dance. Going even further back with fun facts: in 1975 each couple paid $10 for the whole night of Prom and 1979 was the first year Orono had a homecoming king.

Mr. Severtson has been teaching at Orono for 39 years. “Kids generally are more together. Orono is one campus—[which makes it] more unified.” Despite all the eras and phases, “Orono kids are polite, there are very many kids that will give you 100 percent,” said Severtson.

Orono, despite its many changes of faces, fashions, technologies, schedules and structures, has stayed generally the same–A close knit group of dedicated, successful kids that care about their education. However, Erickson said, “The students today are the best that I’ve ever had the chance to teach.”

Tessa Ostvig is the Visuals Editor for The Spartan Speaks.

To reach Tessa, email her at [email protected]