Save your skin over Spring Break

With Orono School’s Spring Break ahead, it’s essential to know the in’s and out’s of how to take care of the skin on your body. Many families in the Orono School District and jumping on a plane and flying to paradise, where the sun is scorching hot.

Whether one is traveling to Florida, Mexico or Colorado, the sun is damaging. The first and most obvious precaution is to wear sun screen. Apply your entire body with a lotion that has at least a SPF of 15. Some may think if I wear sunscreen then I won’t get tan .. However, this is not true. Simply apply a lower SPF if this is your main concern. Switching from a SPF of 45 to 15 will allow you to tan while making sure your body is protected.

The sun is at its strongest point between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Make sure to seek shade multiple times throughout this period in the day. Instead of eating lunch outside on the beach, take it in for a bit. Let your body have a break from the sun.

More tips to keep your skin in tip top shape include: no smoking, eat a healthy diet, manage stress and keep your skin moist.

For more information on why it is so important to protect you skin, visit http://www.utmedicalcenter.org/healthy-tips/56/protect-your-skin-this-summer/

100_0328
    Madeline Hill is the Copy Chief for The Spartan Speaks.