How to: Cupcakes for Valentine’s Day

Valentine's Day CupcakesFor this Valentine’s Day, there is no reason to go out and buy sweets when it is just as easy to make them. Grab your bestie, sweetheart or even a group of friends for this fun, yet super easy cupcake and frosting recipe. Most of the ingredients you can find throughout your kitchen, or you can accommodate to. For example, if you don’t have any buttermilk; for every 1 cup of buttermilk you need, mix 1 cup of milk, and one tablespoon of white vinegar and let it sit for 5 minutes.

Cupcakes:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup baking cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup buttermilk
Chocolate frosting and multi-colored sprinkles

Directions:
1. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with water and buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
2. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Frost cupcakes and decorate with sprinkles. Yield: 16 cupcakes.

Frosting:
1/2 cup of butter (1 stick), room temperature
8 oz of Philly cream cheese (1 package), room temperature
2 – 3 cups of powdered sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

Directions:
1. With an electric mixer, mix the butter and cream cheese together, about 3 minutes on medium speed until very smooth. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure even mixing.
2. Add the vanilla extract and mix. Slowly add the powdered sugar. Keep adding until you get to desired sweetness and thickness.
3. Either spread on with a blunt knife or spatula, or spoon into a piping bag to decorate your cake or cupcake.

Allie Hirschberg is the Business Manager for The Spartan Speaks.