A single girl on Valentine’s Day…what could get any worse?

Madison Hinton
Student Life Editor

Feb. 14 comes around every single year.  For some it is a time to celebrate long-lived romances, but for others, it is the one day out of the year that makes them cringe with the reminder of being single.  The flowers, the chocolates, the restaurant reservations, the teddy bears and the heart-shaped candies seem like obnoxious reminders for single girls, that, in fact, they really are single on Valentine’s Day.

Don’t fear Valentine’s Day because you are single; even if you dread the day, think of it as an opportunity to unite with friends and conquer the V-Day blues.

The first piece of advice I have for you is one that should never be forgotten, NEVER, EVER SPEND IT ALONE.  This will only make you wallow in self pity.  By being by yourself, you will become an emotional wreck because you will only dwell on the loneliness you are feeling.  Please do not do that.  So, to forget about the fact that you are single and alone, get together with some girlfriends.  This will make you unaware of your single-girl woes and hopefully bandage your V-Day wounds.

When you unite with your best girlfriends, it might be a good idea to forget that it is even Valentine’s Day.  Just pretend that it is just a girls night out.  So make reservations somewhere, or hit up the club to dance the night away. You will have fun and you will be sure to forget that it is even Valentine’s Day.

You and your gal pals could even set up a movie night.  Pick out movies with your favorite on-screen crushes and grab some of that feel-good ice cream.  By doing this you shouldn’t feel lonely and you will have your favorite guys “hanging out” right in your living room.

Lastly, have your friends exchange presents amongst themselves; like a spoof off of “Secret Santa”.  This will give you the comfort you need from a physical object as well as gain an emotional attachment to it.

So single ladies, put on a happy face and get your friend group together for some Valentine’s Day fun.  You won’t have a cliche “happily ever after”, but you are guaranteed fun night out with the girls.