Advertising changes to keep up with evolving technology

Photo/ Madi Arends
Photo/ Madi Arends
Photo/ Madi Arends
Photo/ Madi Arends
Photo/ Madi Arends

Advertising has evolved with integrated social media. From print, to radio, to television and the internet, each advancement allows companies to reach customers in the newest way.

Today, social media is the newest way of getting the word out, and has become the most utilized technique.

“Twitter is the most dominant form of advertising and social media because it’s what most people today are looking at and it’s easy to [see] because it’s right in front of you,” said junior Chandler Jacoby.

Others feel the same way, that the internet and social media are taking over all other forms of advertising.
“We just had one of the biggest internet shopping days in American history. Cyber Monday, 1.6 billion dollars in sales were recorded in one day over the internet,” said David Herring, American history teacher.

With this change many students and adults believe it is a necessary switch.
“I personally believe a transition to advertising through social media is a great idea. It allows firms to become a part of the consumer experience,” said Sophia Sodhi, a Orono graduate and college freshman at University of Southern California.
One of the major reasons companies choose to switch to a social media site instead of other advertising mediums is the cost.

“Social media is free. It costs a lot to advertise in the paper and on T.V., plus those are in declining rates,” said
Purchasing and Marketing manager of Otten Brothers, Kris Uter.

Another reason companies are making the switch is because social media is what their customers are beginning to use more consistently. “It’s the future!” said Herring.

Others disagreed with social media being the most dominate way of getting information to people. “It’s word of mouth. If you use a product and don’t like it [or if you do like it] you tell others and they tell others. It’s like gossip; it spreads,” said technology teacher Mark Vonder Haar.

With many companies trying to reach teens, one of the easiest ways is via social media. Today accessing the internet is just a click away on smart phones, tablets, and computers.

In most cases, once the word is posted or tweeted, it takes teens a matter of minutes to share causing social media to be another contributing factor of attracting people to companies and their stores.

Madi Arends is the layout editor of The Spartan Speaks

[email protected]