“Venom” intrigues readers

Venom intrigues readers

Venom by Fiona Paul is eerie. A murder mystery set in magical Venice, Italy around the Renaissance era, Venom ties death, beauty and love into one potent concoction. From page one, I was under its spell, and the novel turned out to be one of my favorite books I have read so far this year. I have always loved the darker books, and there is nothing spookier than conspiracy, murder, the Black Plague and love becoming dangerously intertwined.

The main character, Cass, was a strong and uniquely relatable character to learn about as the story progressed. Falco, her first love, who is a talented, mysterious and sarcastic Venetian artist, changes her and, as a reader, it is fun to see her transform into a more solidified version of herself. Cass becomes a more confident person, even though the uncertainty in her life triples after meeting him. The only unfortunate part of this story was that Paul gives one every reason to love and be suspicious of both Luca and Falco, Cass’s suitors.

This mystery was hard to guess because I was certain that each character was a murderer many times throughout the novel, however, Venom is filled with other colorful characters that lend this book a more lighthearted undertone, such as her crazy old aunt, Agnese, who is both strict and tough loving, but free-spirited like Cass. Then there is her self-absorbed best friend, Madalena, who genuinely cares for Cass. And lastly, Cass’s lady’s maid, Siena, who is the closest thing Cass has to a sister-like companion.

I cannot express my love for this book, but I will say that I think contemporary, mystery, historical and fantasy readers will adore it. There are no supernatural elements, but Venice has enough magic on its own.

This is the book that makes your heart beat fast, your jaw drop and causes you to read during chemistry class. It is not just the revelations that cause this book to be so hooking, it is also the intensity of Cass’s emotions, the stark truth about life and death, the goosebumps you get while reading, the conspiracies, and the amazing setting. Venom is not a common young adult book, and I am certain anyone will love it.

Venom is sinister, creepy, deliciously seductive and absolutely enthralling. Until the very last chapters of the book, I still could not unravel the mystery and even now, I know there is so much more of a story to be told. You must read this book.

Venom (Secrets of the Eternal Rose #1) by Fiona Paul
    Hardcover, $17.99

Rachel Bongart is a Staff Reporter for The Spartan Speaks.

Press Photo, used with permission.