Student performance affected by alcohol use

Photo/ Madeline Hill

Seventeen percent of American high schoolers are consuming alcohol or using illicit drugs during school. This number is even higher for student use of these substances outside of school.

High school students are consuming alcohol and smoking marijuana, despite the fact that their actions may be affecting their academic life and life in general. According to a study from Stonehill College, “Alcohol use can result in missing class, doing poorly on tests or project, disciplinary issues or other problems.”

Consuming alcohol on a regular basis has a greater effect on student academics than the time they spend being distracted by non-academic activities. According to The Daily Beast, “The more time spent partying will decrease a student’s GPA. This is true even though various other non-studious activities, like spending hours on Facebook, had virtually no effect on grades.”

Alcohol has various effects, both short and long term. While impaired, one may experience: dizziness, joy, emotional swings, over-expression, loss of understanding, and lowered
alertness. Smoking marijuana has many of these same effects.
Long term effects of both alcohol and marijuana use can be
detrimental to a student’s well-being. A study from Core Institute stated, “The number of drinks a student consumes is directly associated with the student’s grades.”

Both drinking and smoking have been proven to affect memory in a negative way.

Memory loss is a major issue that marijuana smokers face, even when they do not smoke often.

“Smoking marijuana and consuming alcohol slows the growth of neural-networks in your brain that are not fully developed as a young student,” said psychology teacher Andrew Gagnon.

A big problem throughout high school drinkers/smokers is that students do not realize that what they are doing are affecting them mentally and physically. John Smith* said, “When I drink, I get messed up; when I smoke, I chill out and become more creative. I do not see a problem with either of these substances.”

Students at OHS predict that half the junior and senior grades consume alcohol on a regular basis, and the sophomore and freshmen grades have some students who consume on a regular basis. Students responded that they mostly drink on weekend nights. However, there are reports of students who drink on school nights. Smoking is different from alcohol in the factor of consumption. Most student marijuana smokers smoke on a much more regular basis. Andy Anderson* said, “smoking is much easier to get away with, and I think it is why students choose to smoke rather than drink.”

Some students realize how it is effecting them and stop using. “Students need to be careful, moderation is key. It becomes a problem when students feel they need to have these substances because it can easily end up in dependence and addiction,” said Smith.

*Pseudonyms have been used to protect student identities.

Madeline Hill is the Copy Chief of The Spartan Speaks.

Photo/ Madeline Hill
Photo/ Madeline Hill