“Greenhouse effect” blamed on humans

Julia Smerz
Copy Editor
According to National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA),  “A layer of greenhouse gases – primarily water vapor, and including much smaller amounts of carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide – act as a thermal blanket for the Earth, absorbing heat and warming the surface to a life-supporting average of 59 degrees Fahrenheit (15 degrees Celsius).”  Heat that would ordinarily radiate off into space is instead reflected back towards the planets surface, thus causing temperatures to rise and the global warms up as an effect.

There are many signs showing that the earth has minor changes occurring. According to NASA the average temperature of the globe has risen 1.5 degrees Fahrenheit since 1880. The temperature change has caused many glaciers to melt and therefore causing the sea level to rise 52 millimeters since 1993.

Many scientists believe that the current global warming trend is mainly caused by humans expansion of the “greenhouse effect.”

Sophomore Drew Steinke said, “I think humans need to stop blaming other factors and realize it is us. We need to figure out a solution and start living by it.”

Over the past few years humans have increased their amount of fossil fuel use by burning coal and oil. This has increased the concentration of atmospheric carbon dioxide. “The coal or oil burning process combines carbon with oxygen in the air to make carbon dioxide. To a smaller extent, the clearing of agricultural land,  industry and other human activities has increased the concentration of greenhouses gases,” stated NASA.

NASA has more than a dozen or more earth science spacecrafts currently in orbit, studying the earth system (oceans, land, atmosphere, biosphere, cryosphere), with several more being launched within the next few years.

According to NASA, some of the global change is irreversible, but there are many scientist trying to figure out solutions to the warming earth.