Staying safe on Minnesota lakes

Alysha Sewell
News Editor

Every winter Minnesotans have numerous accidents involving the lakes.  People are so eager to get out on the ice and go fishing or snowmobiling, that they forget about basic safety.

According to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR), “there is no such thing as 100 percent safe ice.” There are many factors that go into determining how strong the ice is.  Some factors include: the depth of the water under the ice, temperature of the water versus the surrounding air, the size of the body of water, the distribution of weight on the ice and whether or not the ice is covered with snow.

Determining the strength of ice can be tricky.  Avoid cloudy ice, stay off of ice formed over running water, never drive on ice at night, and avoid pressure ridges and areas with currents to ensure your safety.  However, if driving on ice is necessary, remember to always drive slowly and cautiously, always keep the windows rolled down to avoid getting trapped if the car does break through the ice.

The City of Orono suggest these steps if the car does fall through the ice,  “Try not to panic, turn towards the direction you came, place hand and arms on unbroken surface, kick your feet and work your way onto solid ice.  Once lying on the ice, don’t stand.  Instead roll away from the hole.”

If a friend or someone nearby falls through the ice, follow these guidelines from the City of Orono, “Keep calm and think about the situation, don’t run up to the hole [you could end up putting yourself in danger], use some item from the shore to throw or extend to the victim to pull them out. Call 911 if you can’t rescue immediately, get medical assistance for the victim.”

Being smart and being prepared are the best ways to stay safe on Minnesota lakes this winter. To ensure safety, follow the acronym I.C.E.  “I” stands for intelligence; gather information about the weather and ice conditions before you go out.  “C” stands for clothing; always dress in layers.  “We’re talking about wool clothing.  This brings moisture away from your body and your body can also use this material to keep you a bit warmer as well,” explained Coast Guard Petty Officer Danny Graves.  “E” stands for equipment; bring personal floatation devices and cell phones.  “Make sure you have all of this so that if you do get into trouble, you can call for help,” said Graves.