OHS students ‘go mad’ for India

Charlie Manning
Layout Editor

“For our DECA project this year, we wanted to help change the lives of others,” stated Kailey Morgan, OHS senior and DECA participant.  Along with partners Campbell Gatehouse and Courtney Leach, the trio decided to make a difference, or “go M.A.D. for India.”

The whole idea started when Gatehouse went on a mission trip to Mysore, India last summer. There, she worked with the non-profit organization Make a Difference.  Make a Difference works hand-in-hand with the Mahabodhi School in Mysore, India by providing clothes, food, and volunteers to help the kids.

Already having connections with Make a Difference, Gatehouse had one foot in the door. She connected with the organization, and the DECA trio soon began fundraising. “Every year at one of the football games, there is a fundraiser called ‘Miracle Minute’ where buckets are passed around the stands at halftime and are filled with donations from fans,” stated Leach, we decided that since this event has had great such success in previous years, we would continue the tradition to help raise as much money as we could, and we ended up raising $302!”

Along with the Miracle Minute, Leach, Gatehouse and Morgan had other successful fundraisers. They made “go MAD for India” jars to hand out to students, staff, and surrounding businesses to be filled with extra change and dollar bills.  “All of the proceeds will be transferred to Make a Difference’s bank account to buy school supplies, books, clothes and basic living essentials,” said Morgan.

The 64 jars were passed out on Monday, Oct. 18 at the high school. Inside the jars was a slip of paper explaining what the purpose of the jars are, where the money is going, and thanking the generous donors for not only helping the girls out with their project, but for also giving the kids of the Mahabodhi School a chance to succeed in life.

The first collection of the jars on Nov. 10 which raised $900.  “We never expected to raise that much money, when we totaled the money we raised from the jars, we were blown out of the water with the success we had,” stated Gatehouse.  Because of the high amount of money the girls raised from this fundraiser, they decided to pass out the jars again for a second round of donating.

The girls have plans for other fundraisers before the DECA state conference on Mar. 6 where they will present their project to a panel of judges.  The second jar collection is planned for Feb. 10.  “We don’t know what to expect for the outcomes of the upcoming fundraisers, but hope they are raise enough money to meet our goal of $4,500 so we can give the kids a brighter future,”commented Leach.

To get involved with this project and help the kids of the Mahabodhi School in India, contact Campbell Gatehouse, Kailey Morgan or Courtney Leach at [email protected].