Top 10 discoveries of 2010

Bri Shekels
Student Life Editor

10. An earthquake alters the  axis, changing time
NASA announced that a Chilean earthquake in March was powerful enough to shorten the length of the day by 1.26 millionths of a second. The earthquake had a magnitude of 8.8, which is the fifth highest ever recorded. The day was shortened by speeding up the rotation of the earth.

As the earth’s mass slightly caved in, the earth began to rotate faster, like a figure skater would when spinning. This earthquake was called a thrust earthquake, which is the only type of earthquake that has the ability to shorten a day. Currently, scientists can measure a day up to 20 millionths of a second, which means the shortening of the day caused by the Chilean earthquake can only be estimated.

9. A structure beyond the universe
In 2008, scientists discovered a grouping a hundreds of galaxies traveling in the same direction at more than 2.2 million miles per hour.  Many researchers concluded the motion is caused by a tugging of gravity from a matter outside our universe.

8. A lizard with Live Birth
On the coast of New Wales, the yellow-bellied three-toed skink lizard lays eggs. Yet, in the cooler area of the mountains, the same species were discovered giving live birth. Records reveal that over 100 reptile lineages have transformed from eggs to live birth.

7. “Lost” Amazon world
Satellite images of the Amazon taken since 1999 revealed over 200 shapes greater than 155 miles long.  Researchers believe that almost ten times as many structures may exist under the Amazon forest cover.

The shapes are created by trenches 36 feet wide and several feet deep.  Excavation has uncovered ceramics, charcoal, and other evidence of life, but still no evidence as to who it was that lived there.

6. Black holes and universes
It is possible our universe may be inside a black hole that is part of a larger universe.  According to a new theory, black holes are tunnels between universes. One theory states that matter that goes into a black hole doesn’t collapse but rather exits through a “white hole” on the other side.

Even if we discovered our universe was created by a larger universe, it doesn’t explain how the older universe was created. “There are some really pressing problems we’re trying to solve, and it’s not clear that any of this is offering a way forward,” said physicist Andreas Albrecht.

5. A Yoda bat and other rarities
Of the 200 species found in two scientist expeditions to Papua New Guinea, one of them was a fruit bat with a tubed-nose. This bat has yet to be named or even be documented as a new species. The other species include 24 species of frogs, 2 new mammals, and many new insects.

4. Noah’s Ark
A team of Christian explorers claim to have found Noah’s ark under the remains of volcanic ash in Turkey’s mount Ararat. Other scientists, however, are not taking the discover too seriously. But when researchers radio-carbon dated the structure, it appeared around 4,800 years old.

Many researchers are skeptic because the Bible never says exactly which peak in Turkey the ark landed on, and because there are better explanations as to what the structure could be some believe it could be a shrine built by Christians to honor where Noah’s ark should be.

3. An odd species off of the coast of Greenland
A fish called the “longhead dreamer” anglerfish was found in Greenland waters. This fish grows to be around 6.7 inches long and is a new species found in the water around the island.

A possible reason for the fish to now be inhabiting the Greenland water is because of Global warming which is increasing the temperature of the water. Another reason could be an increase in deep-sea fishing popularity.

2. The Dead Sea Scrolls
These scrolls are some of the oldest biblical documents to be found. The scrolls were discovered 60 years ago in caves near a settlement called Qumran. It was thought that a sect from Qumran, or a group of people attached to a particular faith, called the Essense wrote the scrolls.

Now there is evidence that the scrolls were written elsewhere and by multiple Jewish groups. Not everyone believes this. “The notion that someone brought a bunch of scrolls together from some other location and deposited them in a cave is very, very unlikely,” said New York University’s Lawrence Schiffman.

1. Fish with hands
A new species of fish has been found that uses their fins to walk across the ocean floor instead of swimming. These fish are four inches long and only four specimens of this fish have ever been found around an island off of Australia.

Although no one has seen one of these fish since 1999, scientists have just now  identified it as a new species. Scientists decided the fish was a new species because of the number of vertebrae, color, presence of scales and spines, and body measurements. “Even among the previously know species, the fish are poorly studied…and there is little known about their biology or behavior,” explained Carolyn Barry in her article.