OHS students get involved with Tobacco Free Youth Recreation

Beginning in the spring of 2011, a volunteer project was organized through the group Tobacco Free Youth Recreation (TFYR). Orono students became involved with the group through the high school club, Youth in Action, that students can join to build up their volunteer hours.

According to the Minnesota Association for Nonsmokers, “The primary focus of TFYR’s work is to assist Minnesota communities in adopting tobacco-free policies for their parks, playgrounds, athletic fields, and other outdoor recreational facilities.” TFRY does this by partnering with youth and adult community members to work towards their goal of “creating a tobacco-free environment where they can promote and model tobacco-free lifestyles.”

The group works to research and create presentations for city halls in the area and propose policies and ordinances against tobacco use in recreation areas like parks and beaches where many families gather. “We plan on getting ordinances passed in Maple Plain and Independence by getting letters of encouragement and petition signatures,” said freshman Jack Ellis.

The leader of the group is Emily Anderson, through the TFYR organization. Anderson “leads the meetings and gives us guidance in making contacts and doing presentations,” said Ellis. Anderson helps to lead meetings as well and provides information on available service projects.
    Seniors Jake Poepping, Elizabeth Fossen, Sarah Stark and Ashley Melco have been nominated for the Youth Advocate of the Year award, in recognition of their work with TFYR. If they win, they will go to Washington D.C. and receive a grant, allowing them to continue more service projects.

The group makes presentations at city hall meetings and is hoping to promote themselves more at school events to gain awareness. “Right now we are in the process of easing new members into presenting to city councils so they can continue the program after the seniors graduate,” explained Fossen.

“I think the group will gain momentum and create anti-tobacco policies and ordinances all across the county!” said Poepping. TFYR meets before school about once every other week. For more information about Youth in Action or TFYR contact Gretchen Vandeputte at [email protected].

Andrea Conover is the Copy Chief for The Spartan Speaks.