Shortage of ADHD medications directly affects students

Stimulant medications improve the lives of 70 percent of children and adults who suffer from ADHD.

Stimulants like Adderall and Ritalin, the most common ADHD stimulants, have been proven to help and temporarily correct ADHD symptoms. However, if the person using them has not been clinically diagnosed, there can be serious consequences.

Many people do not believe that ADHD exists, however these ADHD stimulants actually affect chemical signals in the central nervous system. Research suggests that these medications may help people with ADHD because they increase the level of neurotransmitters in the brain called dopamine and norepinephrine.

People also wonder if stimulant medications actually help teens with ADHD. Studies show that these medications really do improve their quality of life. The stimulant can help students focus better and work harder in an efficient amount of time.

To those who do not have ADHD, this may sound like the perfect solution, but stimulants can cause some serious health problems if they are abused or taken by someone who does not need them or has not been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.

The side effects of stimulant-type ADHD medications can include dangerously high blood pressure and irregular heartbeat. Seizures, severe twitching, uncontrolled movements, sweating, dry mouth and eyes, and vomiting are other serious side effects of abusing the stimulants.

High school students talk about how great Adderall and Ritilin are when they are cramming the night before a test or getting that paper done last minute. Although they do not know about the side effects, they use them anyway. These medications can be extremely addictive when they are abused, causing deaths or hospitalization.

The Drug Enforcement Agency released an article earlier this month explaining how the Adderall shortage will continue through 2012. In 2010 more than 18 million ADHD stimulant medication prescriptions were written to patients.

The drug has become popular with students who might actually not have ADHD but want it for boosting their concentration and alertness.

It has been obtained by people who have a prescription, then sold on the black market for around $5 a pill.

As for people who actually have been diagnosed with ADHD, they are not receiving the medication that they need in order to live their daily lives.

Allie Hirschberg is the Variety Editor for The Spartan Speaks.