Halloween Takes Its Stance

Levi Carlson, Staff Reporter

This year has been a large shock since the beginning, with coronavirus being one of the largest, hardest-hitting diseases the school, and world, has experienced in this generation. With major shutdowns everywhere, how is one to be expected to celebrate such a beloved holiday as Halloween?

Traditionally, children walk around their neighborhood dressed in fun, colorful costumes for the spooky season, talking amongst themselves while going door to door of abutting persons, boasting their all-too-familiar phrase “Trick or Treat!” However, with COVID-19 having impacted so many social interactions, this doesn’t seem to be the case anymore.

The Center for Disease Control (CDC), and subsequently the Minnesota State Government, has put in place policies to attempt to flatten the curve. These policies state that a distancing of at least six feet apart is adequate to help stop the spread of the virus. This, in conjunction with required facial coverings, has led to many being more comfortable in a public setting. But, touching items is still a major concern, with many stores attempting to enforce a new rule of not touching any item you don’t intend to purchase.

The CDC has also stated that any person that has been in contact with someone who has COVID-19 or if they have COVID-19 themselves should not participate in any festivities that involve interacting with others, and have provided an extensive list of activities that you can perform on your own, including pumpkin carving at safe distances, Halloween-themed scavenger hunts, virtual custom parties, and several other miscellaneous events.

“I think that people would be more okay with picking up their own candy rather than to be handed it in person,” cashier at Jubilee Foods Erica Carlson said.
To avoid person-to-person contact and minimize face-to-face interaction, she has produced a simple solution: sealable sandwich bags. Placing an amount of candy into each bag and setting them out, both at her house and at her workplace, allows for children to simply grab a sanitary bag of their precious treats and continue on their way, never having to interact with the provider of their sugary delight.

Apart from the actual interaction of Halloween being taken, the streets will have to be less cramped. To abide by policies, children will need to stand at least six feet apart, both in the street and when in line to collect their chocolates. While some aren’t boosting their Halloween spirit, the festivities still continue as people begin to dress for the holiday, some already being seen in their costumes while at work, Carlson even wearing her costume underneath her blue work polo.

“I haven’t even bought Halloween candy yet. I don’t want to participate in a holiday that has so many interactions,” cashier at Walmart Anna Medley said.

With so many regulations being put into place to help slow the spread of COVID-19, some students have been depicting a very different Halloween from the traditional. Rather than follow through with the process of collecting candy, they’ve decided on a more quarantined approach whereas they don’t partake at all, as per the CDC’s list of the safest alternatives to Halloween activities.

“I’m still putting my tactical costume on, but I don’t intend on going out this year,” junior Ben Haugen said.

Levi Carlson