The Facts Behind Vaping

Photo/ Hannah Johnson

Vaping illustration by junior Hannah Johnson, demonstrating a student vaping the the restroom; oblivious to the sign that reads “Health concerns linked to vaping”.

Sam Capece, News Editor

Sam Capece
News Editor

Recently, vaping has created a storm in the United States; there have been numerous hospitalizations and deaths, allegedly tied to nicotine vaping. Many news sources have blamed companies like Juul for the damage caused, but according to the Food and Drug Association, THC vape cartridges may be the main culprit. Regardless, vaping is not considered safe. Inhaling any foreign substance poses a risk, but scientists agree that vaping is better than smoking cigarettes, especially for those trying to quit.

I don’t think it’s a crisis, but it’s definitely a problem. Ideally, the government would make vaping devices harder for underage teens to get their hands on, but still offer the option to those who are of legal age and want to quit cigarettes.

— Will Buck

There is no conclusive evidence on the full range of effects from vaping, but short term effects have been studied extensively. Vaping is significantly less toxic than cigarettes, according to the National Academy of Science’s Consensus Study Report. It also has less adverse–short term–effects on the body, and for smokers looking for a healthier alternative to cigarettes, there aren’t many.

“Vaping is the only option for quitting cigarettes that is just like actually smoking them. People should try to focus on how much it is helping smokers because kids are going to find a way to do illegal things no matter how much regulation there is,” a junior at OHS said.

The effects of smoking cigarettes are the leading cause of preventable death in the world according to the Center of Disease Control and Prevention, with around seven million deaths per year. Most smokers start when they are young adults, with thousands of people starting every day. E-Cigarette use is up, but according to the National Youth Tobacco Survey, smoking is down by 30% among high school seniors, the biggest decline in the survey’s 40 year history.

“We don’t know the effects of vaping quite yet. People are testing it on themselves, and doing it without much information, but it seems better than turning your lungs black,” junior Kali Underdahl said.

Vaping was created as an alternative and quitting method for cigarettes, and studies that compare cigarettes to vaping typically show success stories. According to comprehensive research funded from the UK, vaping is at least 95% percent less harmful than smoking, although it is still far from being considered “safe”. The UK hasn’t had any vaping related casualties and it encourages use among cigarette users.

“The media has definitely made me think vaping is just horrible and very dangerous. I don’t necessarily agree with the information because they haven’t proven it,” sophomore Ruby Carlson said.

In an ideal world, smokers would have the options they need to quit, and kids would not be able to subject themselves to a potentially dangerous nicotine addiction. Comprehensive studies done by well reputed health associations have concluded that at this point there is not enough known, but for smokers it is an option that could save their life.