Dean Phillips in the classroom

Photo/ David Herring

Mr. Herring’s University of Minnesota Honors Political Science class welcomes Dean Phillips to their class.

Nina Johnson, Editor in Chief

Nina Johnson
Editor in Chief

On Thursday Nov. 6, Congressman Dean Phillips from Minnesota’s third congressional district entered Mr. Herring’s fourth hour Honors Political Science class. It’s been a standing tradition for the current representative to speak to the class once a year, and Phillips came to discuss his first 10 months in Washington and answer students’ questions. In the 2018 election, first-time political candidate Dean Phillips ousted five-term Republican Rep. Erik Paulsen, making it his first trip to Orono High School.

“I thought it was really great that Dean Phillips took time out of his day to talk with us. He was very engaged in talking to us and readily answered every question we had,” senior Sarah Zimmerman said.

Phillips began with a brief summation of his earlier years that sparked his initial interest in government, and the ways in which he plans to implement his values at the capitol. He spent much of the hour discussing the pride he takes in his bipartisan work by reaching across the aisle and developing strong relationships with varying viewpoints. Currently, he’s working within his committees to propose legislature that sets term limits for members of congress, and another that limits the excessive spending of political campaigns.

It’s comforting to see someone in Washington talk openly about its faults and be so energized to fix them. He was incredibly inspiring in his beliefs and bipartisanship.

— Claire Suchy

“It’s comforting to see someone in Washington talk openly about its faults and be so energized to fix them. He was incredibly inspiring in his beliefs and bipartisanship. Dean 2020!” senior Claire Suchy said.

Phillips was elected during the 2018 election cycle and is a freshman member of the House of Representatives. A member of the Democratic party, Phillips has recently been the subject of questioning from the third district’s people, wondering whether or not he will vote to codify impeachment hearings in the House. On Oct. 31, Phillips released a public statement regarding his decision to support the continuation of the impeachment inquiry.

“Today, I voted to codify procedures for Congress’s constitutionally-mandated oversight of this Administration. As we enter the public phase of the inquiry, Americans will have a chance to join the conversation – to bear witness, review evidence, and weigh in on the principles and conduct of elected leaders who will illuminate our country’s future,” congressman Dean Phillips said.

Phillips’ campaign will begin to ramp up again next summer for the 2020 election. If you are looking to get involved, go to: https://phillips.house.gov/services/internships