Minnesota Wild boost MN sports fans’ spirits

The Minnesota Wild hockey team has kicked off their season with a 16-7-3 record (as of Dec. 4), and currently in the number one spot of the Northwestern category of the Western Conference in the NHL. Compared to the Minnesota Twins who ended their season with a 63-99 record and the Minnesota Vikings record currently at 2-9, the Wild seem to be holding up Minnesota’s reputation as a hockey state.

One of the MN Wild team leaders is Matt Cullen with eight goals so far this season. The Wild have a total of 31 goals this season all together, and have played in 24 games. The Western conference has very tough competition, with teams such as the Detroit Red Wings and the Phoenix Coyotes who are both number one in their region.

Minnesota has lately had a reputation for bad sports with poor fans. A blog on the Star Tribune website has a comment referring to Minnesota sports fans, “Vikings fans are not true fans. All you do is complain about the coach, the players , the losses, the stadium and much much more.”.

Many would refer to MN sport fans as “band-wagon” fans. Sophomore Kellen Burke said he, “occasionally rides the band-wagon.” Senior Kiersten Savoie also admitted that some would call her the same. A poll at Orono High School showed that 66 percent of students are the exact definition of that kind of fan. “Minnesota Vikings fans are bandwagon fans, but no body will want to admit that they are one,” said senior Nick Hamaty.

The Minnesota Wild hockey home facility, the Excel Energy Center, is known as one of the top sports venues in America ,according to the Minnesota Explore website. Because of this, the Wild is widely known.

Students at OHS say that we could improve our sports by just simply having better fans. Junior Jake Anderson thinks that, “our sports could improve by more hometown support, because Packers are more supported than the Vikings I think when it comes to football around here.” The bandwagon poll proves that Minnesotans are supportive mainly when our teams are winning. Not understanding that the time our teams need our support the most is when they aren’t doing well.

Madelien Hill is the Copy Editor for The Spartan Speaks