How To Have Fun On A Spring Break Staycation

Sam Capece

Copy Editor 

Spring break is coming up, starting March 23 through 31. This year, many people are going on vacations with family and friends but others are enjoying the break from the comfort of their home. Although Minnesota doesn’t have beaches and great weather, there are many activities and options for students staying home.

“Staying home can be less stressful than going on vacation, you don’t have to be around the same people for a week straight, you just get to chill out,” junior Lucas Cates said.

I’d recommend Old Country Buffet. Going out to eat is a great way to spend time with friends and family. It’s fun to go to a different restaurant to try something new

— Will Buck

The cold weather and snow in Minnesota is not always viewed positively, but there are many winter activities that can be fun and rewarding for students. One popular destination for students is Hyland Hills Ski Park. Hyland provides many winter activities including skiing, snowboarding, sledding, tubing and snowmobiling. Hyland opens at 9:00 am on weekdays and 9:30 am on weekends; it closes at 9:00 pm. It costs $57.66 for an all day pass and rentals.

“I love skiing. Going skiing with friends is so much fun. Highly recommend going to Hyland Hills to ski. Also skiing can be a whole day activity so you don’t have to worry about other things to plan that day,” freshman Peyton Uelmen said.

Another activity enjoyed by students is trying new restaurants. This is a great way for friends and family to get out of the house and enjoy some food they haven’t tried before. Some popular choices in Minneapolis include Hai Hai, a southeast Asian restaurant and Popol Vuh, for Mexican fine dining.

“I’d recommend Old Country Buffet. Going out to eat is a great way to spend time with friends and family. It’s fun to go to a different restaurant to try something new,” junior Will Buck said.

If getting some new clothes or shopping at a wide assortment of stores sounds interesting, then a trip to the Mall of America is a great idea. There are over 520 stores to shop at, according to The Mall of America’s website. Shopping is a great all-day activity, however there are many other activities, such as Nickelodeon Universe, and 50 restaurants to dine at.

“I like the Mall of America, it’s is a great place for the winter to escape the cold with friends or family,” Cates said.

Going out is not the only option either–it’s always good to relax during a break. Staying in and hanging out with friends, reading a book or playing video games are also great options. Spring break, whether it is spent at a tropical destination or at home, is a wonderful opportunity to take a break from school and relax.