Jobs help students prepare fo their future

“A job can teach students about commitment, time management and responsibility- and, of course, handling money,” said a representative from College Board. “In most cases they can acquire a nice dose of discipline and a whole new set of skills and experience.”

A study conducted by Word Press showed that by the time teens graduate from high school, 80 percent will have held a part-time job. Another study conducted by BLS Government showed that 41 percent of freshmen in high school are employed. That being said, almost half of the students in all grades of high school are employed.

Students at Orono High School agree that they would encourage students to get a job and that there are many benefits that come with a job. Junior Stuart Lien said, “I would encourage other students to get jobs because it will make them more independent, responsible, and getting pay checks feels great!”

Word Press also commented on the fact that teens can benefit from a part-time job. Students will obtain valuable work experience, which is great to for a resume. However, Word Press also mentions the drawbacks of being a teen holding a part-time job.

Because some teenagers do not have the time management skills they need, they could have troubles finding a balance for school work and socializing. Another study oconducted by Word Press showed that students who work more than 20 hours per week had a lower GPA than students who work 10 or less hours per week.

The U.S. Department of Labor sets the minimum age for employment at 14. This means that almost all high school students are legally able to be employed. Students who are still in middle school or under the age of 14 can still participate in job activities such as: babysitting or minor duties around a home.

A part time job in high school can also help students out in college. Senior Ian McNamera said, “I am saving some money for college, even though I don’t have to pay for my tuition, I do, however, need to pay for any additional outings and it would be nice to have some money already saved for that.” Students that do not have to pay for their college tuition are still putting some of their earned money into their savings.

Junior Mary Colburn mentioned that, “having a job helps students learn you have to work for your money, and also helps us gain independence from our parents.” Part time jobs have benefits for high school students, but also need to be considered carefully before students apply to one.

Stuart Lien
Grade: 11
Workplace: Lafayette Country Club
Activities: help run tennis shop, give lessons, play tennis with members
Shifts: afternoons in the summer, after school in the fall and spring
Pay: confidential

Mary Colburn
Grade: 11
Workplace: McDonald’s
Activities: chasier and cleaning
Shifts: once or twice a week
Pay: minimum wage

Ian McNamera
Grade: 12
Workplace: Breadsmith
Activities: sells and slices bread, cleaning and inventory
Shifts: Saturday and Sunday, occasional weekday stuff
Pay: $7.75/hour

Katherine Hutter
Grade: 10
Workplace: Orono Ice Arena
Activities: sells concessions
Shifts: Half days on weekends and right after school
Pay: minimum wage

Mia Doolittle
Grade: 9
Workplace: babysitting
Activities: takes care of kids and cleans
Shifts: whenever needed
Pay: $10-20/hour

Madeline Hill is a Copy Editor for The Spartan Speaks