OHS Writing Center caters to all students

While some kids are listening to their iPods, eating snacks, and talking to their friends on Spartan Hour days, there is an intelligent group of kids waiting in English teacher Jarrett Lundquist’s room to help out. One of Orono’s best kept secrets include the amazing peer tutors and mentors that are in the Writing Center.

“The Writing Center is a place where kids who are having trouble with all subject areas can get help,” stated Jennifer Gardner, a senior and Writing Center tutor.

Junior Jeff Sauer added, “We can help with anything from editing papers to writing labs.”

The Writing Center is open on all Spartan Hour days and some days after school. All you need to do is ask for a pass to Lundquist’s room for a class out of Spartan Hour and you have yourself a slot. “Us tutors have a rotating schedule,” Gardner says. The Writing Center is not only for kids who are struggling, it can be for anyone who just wants an extra set of eyes on their essay(s).

The Writing Center is held in stark contrast to other tutor programs including private tutors and Sylvan Learning Centers. “I believe that the Writing Center is better because [we] have actually been through the classes,” Sauer said. “We can offer actual experience.”

Lundquist believes that the Writing Center is more efficient because the tutors have, “written the exact same essay, and they know the expectations and can point out things that they learned while doing it.”

Another point that all three expressed was that getting help from the Writing Center is less intimidating and it is easier to get pointers from students than teachers.

Lundquist would like for the Writing Center to grow and become “integrated into the new schedule.”

“Kids need to be aware, too,” added Sauer.

Obviously, the Writing Center can be a big help to students, so check it out. “It helps kids take ownership of their work,” stated Lundquist, “It is just one more place for someone to get help from a peer who has gone down that same path.”

Jack Ellis is a Staff Reporter for The Spartan Speaks