Filed under News

Stan Lee, Marvel Comics Legend, Dead at 95

Back to Article
Back to Article

Marvel comic book publisher, Stan Lee (center left), blows out the candles on the Marvel Comics birthday cake at opening day ceremonies of the First Mighty Marvel Comic Book Convention, Mar. 22, 1975, New York. To the left is Lee’s wife Joan and on the far right, Spider-Man. Another Marvel superhero, Captain America helps blow out the candles.

Photo/ AP

Photo/ AP

Photo/ AP

Stan Lee, who was the mind behind the fictional characters Spider-Man, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, the X-Men, the Avengers and the Fantastic Four, passed away on Nov. 12, 2018. Today, the Marvel Cinematic Universe is one of the most successful Hollywood creations in history, and Lee is largely responsible for the foundation it was built upon. Lee started his career in comics by working as an office assistant, then writer and interim editor for Timely Comics, which eventually became known as Marvel Comics. Along with being one of the driving forces behind Marvel, Lee has also made a cameo in nearly 40 Marvel movies and television episodes.   

Lee died at the age of 95 at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, California, after being rushed there in a medical emergency that morning. Earlier this year, Lee revealed to the public that he had been battling pneumonia and in February was rushed to the hospital for worsening conditions at around the same time. Following this, in Mar. 2018, Lee announced he would not be attending Big Apple Comic Con in New York City, the longest-running comic book convention in New York City, due to health issues. His cause of death is unknown at this point.

“Stan Lee is one of the most influential creators of our time and he personally has created a constant source of joy in my life. I heard that they filmed his cameos for the next two Marvel movies, and when I see him on screen, I’m probably going to cry harder than I will already be crying, because Marvel,” senior, Gracie Uttley said.

“You know, my motto is ‘Excelsior.’ That’s an old word that means ‘upward and onward to greater glory.’ It’s on the seal of the state of New York. Keep moving forward, and if it’s time to go, it’s time. Nothing lasts forever,” Lee said in an interview with io9.

Stan Lee will live on in his characters, movies, and fans.

About the Writer
Hannah Thillman, Visuals Editor

Hi! I'm Hannah, one of the Visuals Editors for The Spartan Speaks. I am a senior at Orono and this is my second year on staff. Outside of journalism,...