Filed under News

Students Spend Day at State Journalism Convention

Newspaper and Journalism students at the U of M.

Kyle Herring

Kyle Herring

Orono newspaper and yearbook students attended the annual Minnesota State Journalism Convention on Oct. 9 at the University of Minnesota. Professionals and teachers working in the field, spent the day providing insight and tips to five hundred students from schools around the Twin Cities. Throughout the day, students got the opportunity to go to three classes specific to an area of journalism or yearbook.

I went to an editors meeting where we got to collaborate with other schools to see what is working and try and solve each others’ problems. It was really helpful”

— Cari Spencer

“I went to an editors meeting where we got to collaborate with other schools to see what is working and try and solve each others’ problems. It was really helpful,” senior Cari Spencer said.

These classes range from topics of “fake news” to layout design and consider topics in both newspaper and yearbook.

“I took a class on how to report on sports and what people are looking for, I would definitely go again. They have all those different and specific classes that are really helpful,” senior Sam Antonenko said.

The convention was hosted by the Minnesota High School Press Association, an organization that recognizes the works of high school publications. Both The Spartan Annual and The Spartan Speaks took home some awards at the closing ceremony.

Such as 7th place Best of Show Award, 4th-Gold Medallion Award-Newspaper/ Newsmagazine Feature Story, and 8th place- Best of Show Award- Website.

“The best part of the day is watching the students get excited with other students who are all involved in the same thing. I can see the students get excited,” English teacher and newspaper advisor Kyle Ann Herring said.

University and high school educators were able to share their knowledge gained from their own school publications with other students and schools.

“We got to see what is trending in design for the yearbook and see what other schools are doing,” senior Katherine Gilster said.

The Orono Annual Yearbook took home ‘Best of Show Award’ 3rd place, and an All State Silver Award.

“It really helped a lot to see what teachers and professionals say–it was inspiring.” senior Emily Heurung said.

The professionals were able to share their real life journalism experiences with the students, to inspire and inform them.

“Being involved in yearbook really prepares you for college and marketing, the convention is just so helpful,” senior Ellen Kittridge said.

A full list of awards and individual award winners from OHS can be found at: http://mnpress.org/2018-gold-medallion-winners/

About the Writer
Emelia Lowe, Opinons Editor

Hello, my name is Emelia Lowe, I am this year's Opinions Editor and fashion columnist. This is my second year in Journalism and fourth year contributing...