Seniors Take Down Juniors in Annual Powderpuff Game

The annual OHS junior versus senior powderpuff football game was held Wednesday, October 3. Parents, fans, cheerleaders, coaches, and players alike gathered at Pesonen Stadium for the event, enduring the cold temperatures and trying to staying warm.

Seniors prepared with blankets and jackets, while some of the junior girls, conveying their inexperience of the event, showed up in shorts. Minnesota winter began to show itself with frigid winds and low temperatures of 39 degrees on the fall night.

To keep the game even more lively and entertaining, than simply high school girls attempting to play football, announcers Anders Gulbrandson and Danny Eckerline provided a detailed play by play and gave adequate coverage to the games unofficial sponsors. At the start of the game, Gulbrandson announced all senior players by their numbers, all of which happened to be the number 19.

A general consensus was that the seniors came into the game with a sense of cockiness, especially after having only two scheduled practices with very low attendance. The juniors sharply contrasted this method by having multiple structured practices in an attempt to overthrow the senior regime.

“I tried my best with my one job: take down Anna Cleveland,” said junior Josie Peterson.

In the first half, the senior girls got on the scoreboard with a touchdown and a successful two-point conversion. The junior girls took a while to get into the game, struggling with senior interceptions. The juniors agreed that there was no way they could have anticipated this level of competition when they were practicing.

“The juniors did their best but it just wasn’t good enough. Josie [Peterson] in particular really couldn’t handle it,” said senior Anna Cleveland.

In the second half, the seniors scored again, although this time with a failed two-point conversion. At the final buzzer, the score was 14-0, giving the seniors a complete shutout. Contrastingly from years prior where the juniors have put up a tough fight, the seniors breezed by the juniors, earning their two touchdowns, with unbiased officiating, calls going both ways. The junior girls failed to get the ball within 30 yards of the end zone, proving an easy feat for the class of 2019 to come out victorious.

“We DESTROYED the juniors. Us coaches talked before the game and discussed maybe giving them a touchdown at the beginning to make them feel good. We decided on no mercy. Defense locked up and offense executed. We were the better team and we showed that. Enough said,” said senior coach Chad Mrachek.

The seniors celebrated their hard-fought victory after the game with a dance party. The stadium emptied quickly, with players and fans flocking to their cars to find warmth. The class of 2019 will hold their title as powderpuff champions until the current juniors take on the sophomores for homecoming 2019.

The Spartan Speaks • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in