The student news site of Orono High School
Back to Article
Back to Article

Senate Encourages School Spirit

Zach Adams

Senate Encourages School Spirit

Oct. 2 marked the second day of homecoming week, with the dress-up day theme being “Tacky Tourist on a Beach.” This year, through the Orono Student Body’s Instagram stories, students were able to vote on the student and teacher who were the best dressed; the winners received a free Caribou drink. While there were many students that were decked out in Hawaiian shirts and bermuda shorts, the winners of the Tacky Tourist dress-up theme were Megan Fritz and Mr. Lundquist.

We hope that it continues to involve and reach out to all members of the student body”

— Jordan Case

“I wanted to dress up like the kind of tourist that buys every memento from the place they are visiting, such as a grass skirt and leis. I decided that to be a stereotypical tourist, I would need some fake sunscreen and a bit of a sunburn as well. Chacos and calf socks were a must and so were some good Bermuda shorts and aviators,” junior Megan Fritz said, “It was super fun to go all out and have it pay off. Dress up days are way more fun when everyone does them.”

This year the Orono senate decided to make an Instagram to help keep the student body informed about what was going on around school in a more interactive way.

“We decided to make the Instagram in order to communicate with the entire student body in an entertaining and effective way … Julia Rosendahl, the communications director of the senate runs the account. Mrs. Nohner, Mr. Lundquist, and I discussed the idea of using the Instagram to do dress up day prizes. Julia expanded upon our ideas and made them even more fun and interactive,” student body president Jordan Case said, “We hope that it continues to involve and reach out to all members of the student body.”

Make sure to follow the @oronostudentbody Instagram page to participate in other polls and for other updates.

The Spartan Speaks • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in