Principal Dave Benson and Administrative Assistant Betty Mueller. (Kyle Ann Herring)
Principal Dave Benson and Administrative Assistant Betty Mueller.

Kyle Ann Herring

Orono reflects on Principal Benson’s legacy

May 15, 2018

After 25 years of serving around the Orono District, Principal Dave Benson has chosen to retire from his duties after this school year, according to a Orono newsletter email from Superintendent Karen Orcutt on Dec. 19, 2017. Benson served as a principal for the Orono Middle School starting in 1993 until switching over to the Orono High School in 2005. In addition to his years in Minnesota, Benson also spent 20 years in Idaho teaching social studies as well as working as a principal.

He notices students for who they are and what they do, not just the loudest voices in the school. He’s excited about helping students see their accomplishments through and [he’s] willing to make accommodations for them

— Olivia Erikkson

“I am fortunate to have worked beside this great principal,” Orcutt said. “Mr. Benson is an incredible advocate for children, teachers and parents … [and] he embraced the work that needed to be done to bring all students to their highest levels of learning.”

Benson oversaw many aspects of the school in order to keep everything functioning. Although every day is different, Benson says that everyday he typically would attend faculty meetings about learning and education, prepare emails of communication to parents, make decisions on the structure of the school schedule and fill out the necessary paperwork and bills.

Even though he can be serious with the rules, most students are familiar with his social, easy-going side. Patrolling the hallways and cafeteria of the high school, it is easy to spot Benson in his jordans and jeans as he smiles at the students walking by. Also, as a frequent visitor of after-school activities, he is perceived as a very hands-on principal who goes out of his way to make himself accessible to students and support them at events, according to social studies teacher Doug Erickson. Benson also hosts many talks with the different grade levels throughout the year as a means to get to know the students and give them encouragement.

“He has done a wonderful job of balancing student needs with faculty,” Erickson said of Benson. “It’s rare when both sides are supportive of a principal’s actions; it’s typically one or the other [that gets their way].”

From his years of experience, Benson said he has gained a lot of insight of how to be a leader. He shared that leadership is only necessary when things are tough, because if everything was easy, there would be no need for leadership. He views leadership as something that requires a lot of work but can be seen as a opportunity in disguise. As for the mistakes, he has tried to recognize the brevity of these dead ends and learned to keep turning around to find a different road.

“I have this faith, and sometimes it’s hard to stick to, but I have realized that if you treat people in the most positive, respectful way … they will ultimately do their best,” Benson said.

“I have this faith, and sometimes it’s hard to stick to, but I have realized that if you treat people in the most positive, respectful way … they will ultimately do their best.”

— David Benson

Of all of the memories he has acquired over the years, Benson said that he will miss the sense of purpose that he gets from being in Orono Schools. Like iron sharpens iron, he shared how he was inspired when he would walk down the hallways in the middle of an hour and see teachers instructing and students working, often with smiles on their faces. Even when it is easy to get caught up in the day-to-day routine, Benson was reminded of his purpose of serving at this school on those walks through the hallways.

“I like to see people smile, [because I know] something good is happening to them,” Benson said. “It’s always there if you look for it.”

Many students are disappointed to see Principal Benson leave. According to Erickson, during the school board meeting designated for gathering student opinions on qualities for a new principal, a board member remarked how they should really be hiring Benson again as the students were describing all of his characteristics. Additionally, Erickson shared how a few years ago seniors placed sticky notes all over Benson’s car, but instead of using it as a senior prank, every student of the graduating class wrote mini thank-you notes on the sticky notes. These would later end up in a memory book Benson made.

“I believe that’s the biggest thank-you card [any] principal has received,” Erickson said.

As a whole, many students and faculty are proud of the work that Benson has put into the high school.

“He notices students for who they are and what they do, not just the loudest voices in the school,” senior Olivia Erikkson said. “He’s excited about helping students see their accomplishments through and [he’s] willing to make accomodations for them.”

This summer Benson said he plans to travel west and exclusively camp and fish–two of his favorite hobbies–as well as spend time at his cabin on the St. Croix river. Benson also plans to spend a month traveling around Europe with his wife in October and possibly plan another trip for the two of them in the spring.

Out of the 41 applications submitted for the principal position at Orono High School, various faculty members interviewed 11 applicants and came to a conclusion for the replacement. On July 1, Benson will be officially superseded by Dr. Amy Steiner, the current Minnetonka High School associate principal since 2012, according to a Orono newsletter email from Superintendent Karen Orcutt on Mar. 22.

Benson at the all-staff picnic.
Mr. Benson