Orono adds new classes for 2018-19

OHS School Counseling Office

The Registration Guide for 2018-19 courses at OHS

Orono has added new classes for students to take during the 2018-2019 school year. Registration for these classes was available on registration sheets distributed during Spartan Hour on Jan. 29 for all incoming sophomores, juniors, and seniors. The new course offerings were explained in the 2018-19 course catalog, accessible through this link: Reg. Guide 18-19.

The new classes are spread out between a variety of departments. AP Computer Science & Principles is available to juniors, seniors, and sophomores to fulfill an elective credit for business. The science department added Human Anatomy & Physiology  for juniors and seniors. Visual Literacy/Graphic Novel can be taken by all grades, except freshman, for a credit in either english for juniors or art for seniors.

Orono has also decided to introduce a new elective category called AP Capstone. This gives sophomores, juniors, and seniors the option to take AP seminar. AP seminar specifically focuses on students forming their point of view based on reliable sources and communicating their ideas on various forms of media, according to the College Board. The class is the first of two in the Capstone program, with AP research being the second.

The College Board grants students an AP diploma for a score of three or higher (out of five) on both Capstone tests, in addition to scoring over a three on any four AP exams, according to the College Board.